Upgrade time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
notaNJApilot said:
Count on 2-3 years at NetJets for a new hire hired today.

I think it's closer to 4 years, but only time will tell.

When I got hired at FLOPS (4/02), I was told 12-18 months. I left after 3 years, with no upgrade in sight (the next guy in line to upgrade was about 100 seniority numbers ahead of me, and that gap had changed very little for over a year). When I left, there were about 200 behind me. If I were still there, I don't think my situation would have improved all that much, but I haven't kept track the last 6-9 months.

Someone needs to put a pool together for the date of the first post-ratification new-hire to get an upgrade award.

Guitar Guy said:
I think it's closer to 4 years, but only time will tell.
I didn't want to say it, but I agree. The problem with telling the new hires it will take 4+ years is that if know they have that much time, then they'll probably bid FO in another aircraft to collect the type rating.

It's really anyone's guess at this, or any, point. It all depends on the more senior pilots, and if they want to collect type ratings or stay in 1 aircraft. Take a look and you'll see that some of the recent bids have went to pilots just out of their 2 year lock. Someone should do that math, because I think that if the trend escalates, then there is a chance that FO's will never make it to Captain.

*edit*
second thought
what costs more: type rating or captains wages?

Last edited:
Funny thing is I was just having this conversation with the guy I am flying with. I said that he would be crazy to NOT bid another FO position in another fleet if the upgrade was going to be near 4 years. Might as well get another type for the resume in case his extra type puts this place under.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back