Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hipster Loser

Registered Loser
Wonder whether in the airline industry (regional/majors) how often an FO doesn't upgrade to captain due to poor skills and if they fail upgrade more than twice, they are barred from bidding again. Do these indviduals eventually get fired for not making a good FO, like not measuring up during PC checks and on the line. Are there some who dont even want to upgrade?

At some regionals is up or out. That is, if you fail your upgrade you're out of a job.

It's happened a couple of times at my company where an F/O failed his upgrade eval for the second or third time and was terminated.

At my company if you fail the first time you can go back to being an f/o. I'm not sure how long you have to wait to bid Captain again. If you fail the second time you get the axe. We have guys that failed the first time, and now are sitting right seat with absolutely no intentions of ever bidding for the left seat.

The Prussian said:
At Southwest, it's up or out....sitting comfortably in the right seat forever is not an option.

They force you to upgrade at Southwest? You don't get to bid it?

Most airlines think they are hiring potential captains and having flown with guys in my 28 yrs that don't upgrade within a reasonable time up or out is not a bad thing.

At FedEx you can sit sideways or in the right seat for your entire career if you so choose. There is currently no contractual action the company can take if you are happy in your current position and simply do not bid the left seat.

Personally, flying out of my home town and sleeping in my own bed virtually every day is a lot more important to me than extra coin in my paycheck. If you can't live on an FO's salary here then you've got real problems.

Latest resources

Back