Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
What??

My old CP was a military check airman, and he told me that in his umpteen years of doing it, he NEVER saw a perfect checkride. There was always SOMETHING you could bust somebody on, even if it was just small. You just had to consider the whole.

There are BUSTABLE items, and DOWNGRADABLE items in the military. Dropping below MDA on a non-precision approach is an auto-bust. Not managing airspeed during a split-S might be simply a downgrade. True, no ride is perfect, but lack of perfection does not equate to a bust.

Forced upgrade is a bad idea. As a friend of mine once said, "Some people are just better suited to picking up a rifle and standing a post" Just because someone can't cut it in the command position doesn't make them a bad employee. I think it means that they recognize their limitations, thus they chose to stay in position that is best for them, and their employer.

I think it's a terrible idea to allow someone to continue as a flight crewmember just because he or she is "a good employee". That's fine in an office environment but it doesn't cut it in the cockpit, in my opinion. I believe some companies require pilots to upgrade and then allow them to bid back to the right seat if they prefer. I think that's OK because then the pilot has demonstrated the ability to be a PIC. But to allow someone who "can't cut it" to continue to fly after it's been proven that he/she can't do the job (excepting the proverbial "one bad day") is unconscionable, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Guitar Guy said:
I think it's a terrible idea to allow someone to continue as a flight crewmember just because he or she is "a good employee". That's fine in an office environment but it doesn't cut it in the cockpit, in my opinion. I believe some companies require pilots to upgrade and then allow them to bid back to the right seat if they prefer. I think that's OK because then the pilot has demonstrated the ability to be a PIC. But to allow someone who "can't cut it" to continue to fly after it's been proven that he/she can't do the job (excepting the proverbial "one bad day") is unconscionable, in my opinion.

This makes sense, but if after several years having fulfilled their duties as an FO properly, they are just cut for not beign able to upgrade?

If they can do the job they've been doing, why is a failed PIC ride going to end their employment.

Amish RakeFight said:
If they can do the job they've been doing, why is a failed PIC ride going to end their employment.

Because at most companies, the SIC is supposed to be learning the duties of the PIC. If the SIC, after say several years and two or three earnest attempts at upgrade, cannot demonstrate that he is able to competently operate as a PIC, then I think it's reasonable for a company to let him go.

Think about this scenario. On a flight, the PIC becomes incapacitated. Now the SIC must take over full control of the aircraft. Would you want your loved ones on that flight if the SIC couldn't handle the plane but was "a nice guy" and a "good employee"?

Guitar Guy said:
Think about this scenario. On a flight, the PIC becomes incapacitated. Now the SIC must take over full control of the aircraft. Would you want your loved ones on that flight if the SIC couldn't handle the plane but was "a nice guy" and a "good employee"?

I suppose that makes sense, but on the other hand that same SIC has proven that he COULD handle the airplane on numerous SIC checkrides. If not, he never would have made it through initial, right?

How much different is the PIC from the SIC checkride. If someones flown for 3+ years along with multiple PC checks, shouldnt they be able to handle the duties of PIC. C'mon now. And how often does one fail the upgrade 3 times.

taloft said:
I suppose that makes sense, but on the other hand that same SIC has proven that he COULD handle the airplane on numerous SIC checkrides. If not, he never would have made it through initial, right?

Part of the PIC checkride involves the examiner reviewing the candidate's decision-making. As far as maneuvers go, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the SIC and PIC rides. However, one big difference I noted at the regional that I was at is that on an SIC ride, the examiner told the SIC what do after each emergency (engine failure, etc.) while on the PIC ride, the captain applicant needed to determine what the next course of action was to be (in the case of an engine failure, can it be restarted, nearby alternates, performance considerations, etc). That would be my concern with someone who couldn't pass upgrade after multiple attempts - how is his/her judgement and ability to cope with abnormal or emergency situations.

NYCPilot said:
And how often does one fail the upgrade 3 times.

Unfortunately, I saw a few people fail two or three times at the regional I was at. I think one guy ended up busting four times before moving to a different carrier.

Guitar Guy

This makes more sense now. I can see why some have difficulty upgrading.

Do you have any stories of how they botched their PIC rides. What they did or didn't do; what they should have done. What type of scenarios can one expect and how to handle them and how NOT to handle them.

Sounds like a lot of this is more dependent on the individuals decsion making and judgement skills.

Latest resources

Back