Updated and Accurate Lynx Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is truly a different animal.

No, it's just another airline that pays jack squat.

There are many reasons to take it anyway (quick upgrades, Denver basing, etc.), but don't kid yourself. It's just another regional . . .it will be better than some, worse than others.

But the "different animal" talk is just sipping the kool-aid. You'll realize this after a few years when the planes aren't all shiny and the excitement of using a new callsign wears out.

Well Said T-Prop.

To add just a bit: They currently pay 40 hours credit during training. Not sure if that will adjust after certification. Also - its nearly 4 weeks in Toronto. Lynx also provides a rental car for every 4 pilots on average. So you are not stranded in the hotel the entire time.

The salary argument - it can never be perfect. As the industry changes constantly - we hope the regionals will adjust. From a guy already on the inside at Lynx- - I want to get accurate info out there to the people who are interested. Like any big decisions - get as much info as you can and weigh the pros and cons.

Safe travels.

No, it's just another airline that pays jack squat.

There are many reasons to take it anyway (quick upgrades, Denver basing, etc.), but don't kid yourself. It's just another regional . . .it will be better than some, worse than others.

But the "different animal" talk is just sipping the kool-aid. You'll realize this after a few years when the planes aren't all shiny and the excitement of using a new callsign wears out.

Ya, after the paint fades and the call-sign gets old I would STILL be extremely happy in the "next few years" being one of the top 10 pilots on the seniority list picking my schedule and living in a base that isn't east of the Mississippi.

As far as pay:

For an "experienced" pilot what is entry level pay at the "other" regionals? What about years 2-9, you know, the years you will spend as an FO waiting to upgrade there?

It could be better, of course, and it will improve. So sit, b#$% and watch it get better from the seat and airline your at.

For a person that is looking to escape their current predicament and/or make that move to the airlines. This is one of the best deals right now, and is one of the best opportunities to come along in a while.

5 years ago, everyone was complaining about the hiring and furloughs and were excited to get a call from Great Lakes.

3 years ago, everyone was complaining about upgrade.

Now, you complain about how bad it is for an experienced pilot to start at an airline with seniority and four stripes, capable management, sound business model, etc.

People on this board amaze me...

Last edited:
Ya, after the paint fades and the call-sign gets old I would STILL be extremely happy in the "next few years" being one of the top 10 pilots on the seniority list picking my schedule and living in a base that isn't east of the Mississippi.

Now, you complain about how bad it is for an experienced pilot to start at an airline with seniority and four stripes, capable management, sound business model, etc.

People on this board amaze me...

Glad to amaze you. Sometimes I even amaze myself. :)

Hey, I think there are some very valid reasons to go to Lynx . . . I seriously considered applying myself, because flying a Dash is fun and Denver as a base rocks. But since I got something better in the very near future . . . .

No matter how great your management is, their business model isn't anything special. In many ways, it's "niche" nature is a huge minus . . . Lynx is not going to become the next Southwest; it will for the foreseeable future be a very small regional and for most pilots will be a training ground for future majors pilots.

I've been at two start-ups now. Very exciting in the beginning. Everyone works their butt off (this gets old real quick). Everyone thinks they're doing "something special." However, at the end of the day, their success comes from bringing themselves up to profitability by being pretty much like everyone else.

Try to imagine a successful Lynx, 5 years from now. Then 10. Then 20. It's a niche Part 121 turboprop operator based in Denver with payscales lower than many other jet regionals. But QOL may or may not be better, so that's good. It's certainly not a career carrier for most pilots though; management knows this and will try and keep costs and payscales down because they don't really want to have a bunch of 20-year high cost pilots on payscale when they can market themselves as a "quick upgrade, up then out" carrier.

I also think it's a big mistake to gauge the quality of the airline (from a pilot standpoint) based on how well the top 10% are treated. The true test is how well it treats the BOTTOM 10%.

Good points, good luck on the next gig!

Last edited:
Who owns Lynx? Where is the money coming from?

Who owns Lynx? Where is the money coming from?

Frontier Holdings is the "umbrella" company that owns both Frontier Airlines and Lynx Aviation.

Similar structure to Alaska Holdings and its two airlines.... Alaska and Horizon.

That's a nice touch, I didn't even realize that was a baby lynx. Now that everyone seems to be slowing down on the 1st year pay arguments, is there any info on what 2-10th year pay will be? Just curious because it seems to me that arguing over 1st year captain's pay is silly due to the fact that almost nowhere are there 1st year captains (nor, quite frankly, should there be). Also, what is the per diem rate? And what is the logic behind only paying 35 hours while in training? In my experience training requires far more 'work' than any other part of our job.

-Blucher

Latest resources

Back