• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Updated and Accurate Lynx Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I interviewed last month and was told pay during training was 35 hours guarantee (plus per diem and hotel in Toronto). They were going to hire me as a First Officer and said upgrade would be nine to twelve months even though my seniority number would be a captain seniority number before that. They said upgrade wasn't totally based on seniority and they (CP and DO) would determine who upgraded. The benefits were going to cost more than my current company. Of course there were good points as well (mountain flying, Denver base, et cetera) but these were most important to me when figuring my personal cost-benefit analysis.

I haven't definitively said no, but I'm leaning in that direction because I can't justify a year at $21 an hour when upgrade probably won't be much longer at my current company. I'm sure it would be a good situation for other people though.

ASA's first year ATR-72 CA pay rate = $55 / hour.
Eagle's first year ATR-72 CA pay rate = $58 / hour.
Mesa's first year DHC-8 CA pay rate = $37 / hour.
Piedmont's first year DHC-8 CA pay rate (300 / 100) = $47 / $43 / hour.
Colgan's first year Q400 CA pay rate = $53
CommutAir's first year DHC-8 CA pay rate = $37
Horizon's first year Q400 CA pay rate = $65
Average of the above = $49.37 / hour.

Other than Horizon, we don't have another domestic Q400 operator to directly compare pay rates with. (Yes, Colgan has a RATE.. but they aren't operating any airplanes yet.)

Also kinda curious (in reference to an earlier post) how pilot pay directly relates to aircraft maintenance reliability. I could see how mechanic experience or even pilot experience could.. but pilot pay?

Some of these companies hire street captains at the requirements Lynx wants for an FO. Many of these contracts are years old and outdated. For someone with 4000TT, thousands of hours 121 and turbine, etc... $50/hr is an insult. For anyone flying an aircraft larger than 19 seats.. especially if they want someone ATP qualified, $21/hr is an insult.

Also kinda curious (in reference to an earlier post) how pilot pay directly relates to aircraft maintenance reliability. I could see how mechanic experience or even pilot experience could.. but pilot pay?

You misunderstood me, dude. Cloud F9 was justifying the low pilot pay due to the high startup costs. I was simply saying that airline management can ALWAYS find a reason they can't pay the pilots more. It might be startup costs now, it could well be maintenance costs later - cuz I guarantee you Lynx will be spending a lot more on MX than they're planning.

--Already broke one Q400 today.

Some of these companies hire street captains at the requirements Lynx wants for an FO. Many of these contracts are years old and outdated. For someone with 4000TT, thousands of hours 121 and turbine, etc... $50/hr is an insult. For anyone flying an aircraft larger than 19 seats.. especially if they want someone ATP qualified, $21/hr is an insult.

What about UPS's $33/hr pay? Does that mean that since it is insulting that I should not even apply with my "thousands of hours" of 121 and turbine time? Should anyone?

I made $35/hr an MEI 4 years ago w/ 25 hrs of ME piston.

I agree with ya, but the industry is what it is. . . f*&^ up. You gotta look beyond the pay at times and account for other issues.

If you are a senior FO close to upgrade @ your company (dashtrash) Stay. If you are a mid level eagle FO years from upgrade and live in DEN, give it a shot. Low-time guys, same deal.

If you get in before the end of summer you WILL have CA seniority when the place is fully staffed. If you get in before Thanksgiving, you will be able to pick your schedule as an FO. To many people, that seniority and associated QOL is worth a whole lot more than an additional $10+/hr. It is a great deal for some and not for others.

It doesn't get much better than that currently. Two-six months from now Skywest at $19/hr will be the best thing going again.

Last edited:
Lynx positives

- No training contract

- FO's get typed

- $55/day perdiem while in Canada for 3 weeks (On top of training pay, tax free, and it is paid to you before you go north.)

- Fast upgrade (only 30 on the list currently with another 70-170 on the way)

- Good, capable management, with direct support from the parent carrier.

- Operates one of the newest, most capable "regional" aircraft out there. Sorry SJS guys, it does have props, but it will still out perform a CRJ700 in the markets they are eyeing in almost every category.

This operation will be around for quite a while. They aren't spending millions creating their own certificate for an "experiment." They aren't spending millions on new, specifically configured airplanes (ski bins, HUD's, etc) to turn around and lease them to another regional, especially after pouring money into a new certificate.

If you were in 121 and now flying corporate or 135 and are looking for a way back in, this is a great opportunity. Unless, of course, you meet the big guy's requirements.

If you are an FO at a regional and have few years till upgrade, getting in at Lynx right now will ensure CA seniority, if not a quick upgrade (6-12 mos.).

If you are a qualified applicant for other regional jobs (CFI, 135 freight guy), apply.

This is truly a different animal.

All negative things about Lynx are coming from guys who weren't hired, have friends who weren't hired, or are upset to see other's get a shot at a better opportunity than when they were looking for regional jobs.

Talk to someone who works there or, apply and find out for yourself.

Ya, it's not a perfect. However, it is the best deal going for the next few months.

Last edited:
That average you came up with is completely skewed by the fact you added in Dash 8-100/200/300 rates...all SMALLER airplanes.

Lop those off and the average is $57.75 for 1st year Q400 captains.

1st year CA pay at most regionals ie., Eagle, Comair, Mesa, Skywest are:

$55-57/hr. (this is on their fancy schmancy jets too. . . you don't want to see their t-prop CA pay)

Oh, and it'll take 2-9 years to finally get CA pay at those companies.

Last edited:
I interviewed last month and was told pay during training was 35 hours guarantee (plus per diem and hotel in Toronto). They were going to hire me as a First Officer and said upgrade would be nine to twelve months even though my seniority number would be a captain seniority number before that. They said upgrade wasn't totally based on seniority and they (CP and DO) would determine who upgraded. The benefits were going to cost more than my current company. Of course there were good points as well (mountain flying, Denver base, et cetera) but these were most important to me when figuring my personal cost-benefit analysis.

I haven't definitively said no, but I'm leaning in that direction because I can't justify a year at $21 an hour when upgrade probably won't be much longer at my current company. I'm sure it would be a good situation for other people though.

The latest prelim with us shows a 1220 number as junior CA on the CR2. It doesn't look like it's worth your time to leave and start over again for a startup airline. What a risk.

You're making at least $35 and hour now, and all they pay is $21 to start? The guarantee in training is only 35 hours? What a joke.

Don't make such a big mistake.

BTW.....I finished upgrade a short time ago, and with the new prelim out, as of Oct 1st I'll have almost 90 CAs below me. There are only 73 reserve lines, so it'll go quick.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back