Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Update on SWA f/o arrested for intoxication.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

737 Pylt

Um....Floats anyone??
By JENNIFER DOBNER
The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY - A Southwest Airlines co-pilot accused of being intoxicated
just minutes before takeoff was charged in federal court here Monday.

Prosecutors have charged Carl Fulton, 41, with one count of operation of a
common carrier under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The charge carries a
maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines.

Fulton made an initial appearance in U.S. District Court on Monday, but did
not enter a plea to the charge.

A preliminary hearing date was set for July 28, although Assistant U.S.
Attorney Michael Kennedy said he intends to take the case to a grand jury,
so the hearing may not be necessary.

Fulton was arrested Sunday morning after a Transportation Security
Administration screener reported smelling alcohol on Fulton's breath at a
security check point. That was about 30 minutes before Southwest Flight 136,
on which Fulton was the first officer, was set to depart from Salt Lake City
International Airport for Phoenix.

Court documents say Fulton told federal air marshals and police he had
consumed two "large beers" at a local movie house that serves food and beer,
and a third drink - vodka - at a bar in the hotel where Fulton was staying.

Fulton said he stopped drinking at 10 p.m. Saturday, according to court
documents.

Airport police administered two breathalyzer tests on Fulton.

In the first test, taken one hour after Fulton was removed from the plane's
cockpit and detained, his blood-alcohol level was .039 percent, court
documents said. In a second test, taken six minutes later, Fulton's
blood-alcohol level was .038 percent.

Daniel Love, an air marshal with the U.S. Marshal Service, said it was
"mathematically not possible to have a BAC of .039 the following day if
Fulton had only consumed three drinks," the documents said.

Federal Aviation Administration guidelines say a pilot is prohibited from
flying within eight hours of consuming alcohol.

The FAA sets the blood-alcohol limit at .04 percent, although regulations
state that if a pilot tests between .02 percent and .039 percent, he or she
is not allowed to work. Regulations also call for a second blood-alcohol
test within 30 minutes of the first test, and say that if the blood-alcohol
range remains the same, the pilot can't work for another eight hours, or
until the level drops below .02 percent.

Federal law provides a presumption of impairment at .10 percent, although
federal prosecutors say that other forms of evidence can be used to prove
impairment in court.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines spokesman Ed Stewart said the company
subscribes to all FAA regulations regarding alcohol consumption. Fulton
flies for Southwest out of Dallas and has been employed with the airline for
two years.

He has "a perfectly clear record," Stewart said.

Southwest has placed Fulton on paid leave - which prohibits him from
flying - pending the outcome on an internal investigation. What action the
airline may take does not necessarily depend on the criminal proceedings,
Stewart said.

Fulton, of Fort Worth, Texas, spent Sunday night in the Salt Lake County
Jail. U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul Warner released Fulton from custody Monday,
on the condition that he not use drugs or alcohol while the case is being
adjudicated. Warner also ordered Fulton to undergo random drug and alcohol
testing.

FAA officials are also investigating the allegations and interviewed Fulton
on Sunday.

The agency regularly matches pilot's names against DUI data in the national
driver's licenses registry, FAA Northwest Region spokesman Allen Kenitizer
said. The agency also requires airlines to have random testing programs in
place. Between 2000 and 2003, more than 10,200 pilots were tested, FAA data
show.

So why exactly was this guy arrested?

Federal law provides a presumption of impairment at .10 percent, although
federal prosecutors say that other forms of evidence can be used to prove
impairment in court.

What "other forms of evidence" can be used to prove impairment? If they start testing "other forms of evidence" for impairment, a lot of pilots are going to get busted after lunch on the forth day of an early morning report trip. I know I was feeling a little groggy this afternoon (and I haven't had a drink in a week).

DrewBlows said:
So why exactly was this guy arrested?

What "other forms of evidence" can be used to prove impairment? If they start testing "other forms of evidence" for impairment, a lot of pilots are going to get busted after lunch on the forth day of an early morning report trip. I know I was feeling a little groggy this afternoon (and I haven't had a drink in a week).

Slurred speech; staggering; stupid comments, etc. YOU CAN be convicted of impairment, (ie DUI, etc) by exhibiting these traits, even if you "blow" below the legal limit. It's happened to many people; especially those who do not get a good lawyer and defend themselves in court.

MalteseX said:
Slurred speech; staggering; stupid comments, etc. YOU CAN be convicted of impairment, (ie DUI, etc) by exhibiting these traits, even if you "blow" below the legal limit. It's happened to many people; especially those who do not get a good lawyer and defend themselves in court.

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I made my post to Lowcur on the other thread. I guarantee this individual was "observed" to be impaired by the "trained" (sometimes called DRE's or Drug Recognition Experts) police officers. I also guarantee that no one other than the officers present observed his condition. Their job is not to be neutral arbiters of an individual's sobriety. They are there to document behavior that will substantiate the arresting officer's report. They are not your friend...

This guy will beat the rap. It will cost him a bunch of money and take forever since it's the Feds and they basically have no budget to worry about but he will beat it.

This is the kind of witch hunt perpetrated by the trained monkeys in the TSA, most local police departments and even Federal prosecutors. They will prosecute this to the maximum extent possible, IMO, because none of these types can step back once they cross the line. Good luck. TC

P.S.--That's ok, Lowcur, you don't have to appologize to the guy...

AA717driver said:
This is the kind of witch hunt perpetrated by the trained monkeys in the TSA, most local police departments and even Federal prosecutors. They will prosecute this to the maximum extent possible, IMO, because none of these types can step back once they cross the line. Good luck. TC

Maybe I've watch too many episodes of Law and Order but I would have to agree with you 100%. I hope he finds an extremely good lawyer because it is going to make all the difference.

AA717driver said:
This is exactly what I was afraid of when I made my post to Lowcur on the other thread. I guarantee this individual was "observed" to be impaired by the "trained" (sometimes called DRE's or Drug Recognition Experts) police officers. I also guarantee that no one other than the officers present observed his condition. Their job is not to be neutral arbiters of an individual's sobriety. They are there to document behavior that will substantiate the arresting officer's report. They are not your friend...

This guy will beat the rap. It will cost him a bunch of money and take forever since it's the Feds and they basically have no budget to worry about but he will beat it.

P.S.--That's ok, Lowcur, you don't have to appologize to the guy...

The grandstanding TSA and the Federal goverment are truly beyond contempt, I do hope the poor guy beats the rap and his union fights for his continued employment if he prevails.

I'd have no issue with the TSA performing this function if they were APPROPRIATELY TRAINED AND EQUIPPED to operate as a sobriety checkpoint.

Oh, and staff them sufficiently, while you're at it...so I don't have to show up at D-south checkpoint in PHX at 6am to find only one lane open and about 1000 passengers standing in line.

FlyBarneyJets said:
I'd have no issue with the TSA performing this function if they were APPROPRIATELY TRAINED AND EQUIPPED to operate as a sobriety checkpoint.

Oh, and staff them sufficiently, while you're at it...so I don't have to show up at D-south checkpoint in PHX at 6am to find only one lane open and about 1000 passengers standing in line.

"APPROPRIATELY TRAINED AND EQUIPPED to operate as a sobriety checkpoint"? Let's face it, guys, these people are "barely qualified" to perform the function that they were 'legislatively mandated' to perform. As evidenced by "Every" study that the Inspector General has done on their "performance" (one recent and very comprehensive study), concluded; that the TSA screeners "failed" to detect, and did NO better on detecting fake/test bombs (devices), weapons, etc., than did the 'contract screeners' that were in place prior the the creation of the TSA (prior to 9/11). Not that the "mainstream press" gave a lot of attention to any of these studies that were conducted; gee, what a surprise?

I remember, after 9/11, when I first heard that the gov't was going to take over "airport security" and I remember thinking then; I guess that they are going to bring the "effeciency of the Post Office to airport security" (and, I guess now, along with that, the 'arrogance of the IRS'). And, the "result" about 5yrs. later, well gee, I just hate being right all the time. lol

Also, calling these people "trained monkeys" is really just an insult to the "monkeys" who happen to be really intelligent and skillful (and most of all, at least, "trainable") animals. FACT; they are hiring no better (and mostly No more 'trainable') people than they had before, the only difference is that they are paying them 2 1/2 to 3 times as much, adding a large Gov't 'bureaucracy' and doing really 'no better job' than before!! Adding to that, we have created about 40,000 more "Gov't empolyees" who probably can 'Never be fired' even if they are totally "incompetent"!!!!

With regard to my reference to the "Post Office;" just remember the the Post Office, with its more than 750,000 employees, does the job that probably 300,000 people could do. And, just remember that the most 'effecient/cost effective' service that the Post Office has ever provided (Express mail, Priority mail service), that the Post Office has "always" relied on "private contractors" (FEDEX, UPS, and before the recent contract, other private contractors), to provide most of this Service.

The TSA are NOT trained to perform 'law enforcement' duties (i.e. soberity checks, etc); and again, are 'barely' trained and qualified to perform the duties that they were created to perform. All the Gov't did was spend "tons and tons" of our tax money to create "window dressing" to satisfy the 'uneducated' traveling public," peroid!!

My advice, just for what its worth, if you are put in a similar situation, faced with "real, law enforcement" personel, and have any questions as to the 'situation,' ask for "legal consultation" (even advice by phone, if that is all that is available), prior to providing any 'statement or evidence.' After all, you still do have some 'rights' and most of all, remember that we are talking about "your career and livelihood."

Just my $0.02, again, for what its worth.

Ummm how about not showing up reaking of alcohol and blowing a .039? Sorry but thats darn near the legal limit. If the guy hadnt been a drunk clown who reaked of alcohol he wouldnt be in this predicament. This should send a message showing up with any booze in your system is unacceptable. you want to drink til the 12/8 hr limit fine but be sure your booze free when you report for duty. Unbelieveable. Pilots are good at blaming everyone but themselves. Ohhhh those evil TSA guys are being unfair. Ohhh its a witchhunt blah blah blah. Bottom line is if you blow a .00 you will have absolutely no problem.

Latest resources

Back