• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

unusually sick the first year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Along the same lines...if you are visibly, terribly sick, please don't come to work. I don't really want to breathe your air for the next four days.

propjockey said:
My personal opinion regarding wiping down the cockpit with alcohol swabs is that it is an exercise in futility. I just don't think you get the duration or the coverage that would be required to kill much of anything, and obviously it does nothing to combat airborne pathogens.

I have to agree here, especially when the airborne pathogens come from the a$$hat sitting next to you that should have called in sick, which, IMHO, is 10 times worse that calling in sick when your not.

Nothing torques me more than flying with someone who is obviously sick, and listening to them claim "I've never used a sick day in my life"...meanwhile while thinking about how many crewmates have had to call in sick after flying with this walking, incubating dooshbag.

Nu

You guys must work at a Company with a more enlightened view of sick crew members.

Many Companies, mine included, have a contradictory "we don't want you to come to work sick, but if you call in we'll write you up" policy. And you'll also have your first days block time docked from your monthly guarantee.

Showing up to work sick because you have never called in is stupid. Showing up to work sick because you will be disciplined (and lose a chunk of $$) if you call in again is still stupid, but somewhat understandable.

Guitar Guy said:
By the way, as hard as it may be to believe, consumption of alcohol does NOT improve your immune system.:rolleyes:

What kind of pilot are you?

shamrock said:
Many Companies, mine included, have a contradictory "we don't want you to come to work sick, but if you call in we'll write you up" policy. And you'll also have your first days block time docked from your monthly guarantee.

You guys make your own bed, in this case. If I was you, when sick, my first move would be to go to the doctor. Second, when questioned by the company, I would fax them the note from the doctor. The third would be to file a greivance (if applicable in your situation). Fouth, if they attempted write me up or conduct ANY other kind of disciplinary action, my next step would be to take all the documentaion to the local FSDO, and write THEM up for trying to force me to fly sick, against the FARs. End of problem.

Nu

I hear ya, Nu.

Our policy is that 3 "occurances" in 6 months and/or 4 in 12 months will earn you a "Please see a CP to discuss your attendance" letter. The CP's (in my experience) don't worry too much about it, but you do get a letter that I believe goes in your file. I've pretty much always had a Doctor's note, but it doesn't make any difference in how things are carried out. Par for the course here at ASA, I'm afraid.

You have me curious if anyone has pushed this issue beyond the Company. Any Candler-types have any idea?

My first year at a regional, I was sick as a dog. I seriously had to call in like 25 days. I wont fly sick but your on probation what do you do? I tryed all that wipe down stuff dint work. Funny thing is when I left the regionals for a fractional BOOM never sick. My guess is the air in the cabin with sick pax in the back must do a number on us pilots. I have been pretty much sick free now since.

Shamrock, you guys have it pretty tough. Piedmont's "Attendance Policy" is pretty leniant, compared to yours.

First and second sick calls, nothing. Number of days out doesn't matter either, anything over 4 requires a phone call to the Chief Pilot (his secretary since he doesn't do his job). Third sick call gets a registered letter letting you know you have called in sick 3 times, fourth gets phone call to above mentioned secratary, fifth gets a letter in your file and counciling session, sixth gets another letter and another counciling session and a 3 day suspension, seventh gets you fired. This is all on a rolling tweleve month period. Not too bad, unless you really are sick more than that, especially in your first year in a new climate.

The problem here though is that there is no provisions for doctors notes, etc to cancel an occurence, so you could get sick, only stay out 1 or 2 days get better go back get sick again and so on and burn up 7 in 12 mos easy. Especially since everyone is afraid to call in sick so everyone is getting everyone else sick. It's a vicious circle. Whatta you do?

If you don't call in sick at least 4 times a year (spaced evenly--once a quarter) you're a management suck up! ;) TC

Another thing to consider, if your company supplies headsets, you may want to use your own. I got sick quite a bit my first year, but I started using my own headset, and got sick a lot less frequently after that.

LAXSaabdude.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back