unusually sick the first year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wahoo250 said:
just wondering did anybody else get an unusual amount of colds their first year. Im on number four in four months. I never got sick before this. Just curious...

Did you relocate to take this new job?

I moved from the Northeast to Atlanta almost 3 years ago and I got sick more in the first 2 years in this cr@ppy-ass city than I did in the 10 years before, and talking to some of my fellow classmates I'm not alone. I didn't get sick (to the point of calling out) in the year and a half I flew at my old job, but then again there's not much public contact flying a virtually empty 1900 around New York and New England.

In my case I believe it's this wonderful city I live in, not the job, that is responsible for how sick I am, at least physically.;)

...im with wahoo. im on #3, and although they arent much more than a head cold that goes away in about 2 days, its getting old! and im already on the handwashing/wiping down the yoke bandwagon :(

but then again, i relocated also...

Wash your hands, try to swab down the control wheel and other items in the cockpit, try to eat healthy, take some vitamins and, if at all possible, try to get decent rest. By the way, as hard as it may be to believe, consumption of alcohol does NOT improve your immune system.:rolleyes:

Yup, I was the same way. Back home maybe got sick once a year for two days. I move to the south (anyone who is not from the south, DONT MOVE HERE!) and I have been sick at least 3 out of 4 weeks since I have been down here. I've been doin the alchol scrub down thing but the docs tell me its more allergies and just plain ole viruses that I have to get used to.

For the love of god get this yankee out of the south, what was I thinking.

AL

Knock on wood, I haven't gotten too sick in my first two years at this job. I will sometimes wipe down the controls and various knobs/switches/gizmos if I have the time or think of it, but normally I've found that just eating relatively healthy, getting good sleep, laying off soda, and drinking plenty of water and juice will help you more than you think. Fruits, vegetables, bread, all helps. Have some variety in what you eat on the road... don't be eating at the same restaurants and the same foods the whole time. Get some exercise... even if it just means going for a walk or climbing the hotel stairs for 10 minutes.

I got somewhat sick (slight cold) last winter when all I'd do is chill in my hotel room and go out for the occasional meal at the same dang restaurants. Didn't drink much water... but lots of coffee for sure. Now I don't drink soda, and take a bottle of water every day.

I think drinking beer helps too. :cool:

I wholeheartedly agree with the change of scenery theory. After going from Michigan to San Juan, I've been sick more this year than I have in the past 5 years. I've already called in sick 3 times and currently have a date with the chief pilot for an attendance review. Everytime I start getting a few hours in my sick bank, I have to drain it because I can't fly.

BTW- I sanitize everything everytime, eat as well as I can, take vitiamins, blah blah blah. I should be healthy, but I think this white girl just wasn't meant for the tropics!!

I kinda wonder if your immune system boosts itself after being exposed to so many bugs for a while. I flew corporate for 5 years or so and now I'm in the regionals and (knock on wood) I really haven't been sick much at all except for my first year of traveling.

Have any of you guys wondered that too or is this just coincidence?

I have to agree with those who think the immune system is actually boosted over time by limited exposure to a LOT of people and their various bugs. From articles I've read and conversations I've had with doctors, I have come to believe this is true (assuming that your immune system is healthy in the first place).

My personal opinion regarding wiping down the cockpit with alcohol swabs is that it is an exercise in futility. I just don't think you get the duration or the coverage that would be required to kill much of anything, and obviously it does nothing to combat airborne pathogens.

I almost never get sick anymore since I started flying, and when I do, it tends to be mild.

Drink lots of water. Dehydration and the resulting fatigue seem to play a major role in the development of illness.

I would argue that the immune system is neither boosted nor regenerated over time. Its simply the over worked, lack of sleep, underfed, parts of your system that required more need, Thus a simple cold or sars just doesnt register over these overtaxed systems.

Kind of like hitting your thumb with a hammer and getting hit by a car at the same time, The auto hit will numb the pain of the thumb everytime......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back