Unlimited Jumpseaters on Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capn Mike said:
Last flight out of LGA to ATL tonight on a 767 with 179 empty seats and only one of the offline jumpseaters taken.

Capn Mike
179 empty seats and the General still thinks we need larger aircraft on these routes? Amazing! If this keeps up, unlimited jumpseats will be the least of our problems.

InclusiveScope said:
179 empty seats and the General still thinks we need larger aircraft on these routes? Amazing! If this keeps up, unlimited jumpseats will be the least of our problems.
If its that empty everytime, then yes there is a problem. I fly LGA-ATL a lot, and that is very, very rare. But I suppose RJs never have the occasional flight that is mostly empty.

Inclusive,
Yes, big jets sometimes have a bunch of empty seats...especially the late night ones. That 767 would fly from LGA to ATL even if it was empty...repositioning for the next day. But you knew that, right?

Look at the traffic jams at ORD (and LGA) if you want to make conclusions about big jets vs small jets.

michael707767 said:
If its that empty everytime, then yes there is a problem. I fly LGA-ATL a lot, and that is very, very rare. But I suppose RJs never have the occasional flight that is mostly empty.
The next 10 767 flights between ATL and LGA have an average of 81 empty seats. The 3 highest numbers of empty seats for 767 flights in the next two days are 148, 115, and 97. Combine this with the low fares that are being to charged to fill these seats and you might see the problem. I now return you to your regular programing....resume putting your head in the sand.

knee jerk jumpseaters

>>>I intervened in that case, asked our online pilot to non rev in back and got the offline pilot on the jumpseat

Why is it Delta guys automaticaly sign up for the jumpseat even when there are dozens (or in some cases hundreds) of open seats in the back? No big deal for Comair or ASA pilots, since we have the pass card, but don't you realize that totaly screws lots of offline jumpseaters, many of which offer Delta pilots their unlimited jumpseats?

Come on guys, this isn't 1990 when you only got 6 free passes a year (or 8, whatever) you have unlimited pass benifits but only ONE (OK in rare cases two, IF the gate agent is willing to do it, which is not too often) jumpseats per flight. Hogging it for no other reason than you are too lazy to spend 2 minutes on a phone or 30 seconds online or a minute with a gate agent checking loads is pretty selfish.

You only offer one jumpseat per flight. At least let an offline pilot use it.

Last edited:
P38JLightning said:
Why is it Delta guys automaticaly sign up for the jumpseat even when there are dozens (or in some cases hundreds) of open seats in the back? No big deal for Comair or ASA pilots, since we have the pass card, but don't you realize that totaly screws lots of offline jumpseaters, many of which offer Delta pilots their unlimited jumpseats?
I was just going to ask the same question, but I see you beat me to it. I agree, it makes no sense. I have seen it a lot on the ATL-DFW flight, where you see about 5 Delta guys go try to check in for the jumpseat, just to be told that "the guy over there" got it checked in first. And yes, I did make the flight using a S3, so there were obviously seats available in the back.

As I understand on AA (somebody could probably back me up on this that is more familiar), an AA or Eagle pilot can't jumpseat unless every seat in the back is filled. That helps offline jumpseaters because you don't get freaked out about missing the flight every time some uniformed AA pilot steps up to the gate agent.

General Lee said:
Hey, I think I saw in the Dalpa concession sheet that we wanted unlimited "flow back" for jumpseats---so maybe, just maybe----we might get unlimited jumpseats----for only 30% or more in pay cuts....

Bye Bye--General Lee

PLEASE don't negotiate multiple jumpseats for offline pilots, General....
I wouldn't want to be responsible for YOU taking a pay cut.... even if its
an additional 1/16 of a percent...

All the carriers out there offering multiple jumpseats to offliners just need to tell the Delta guys/gals... "sorry, we already have one"..

That's what a "reciprocal" agreement means...
We'll take only one if you only take one....

Suck it up General!!

Come on guys, this isn't 1990 when you only got 6 free passes a year (or 8, whatever) you have unlimited pass benifits but only ONE (OK in rare cases two, IF the gate agent is willing to do it, which is not too often) jumpseats per flight. Hogging it for no other reason than you are too lazy to spend 2 minutes on a phone or 30 seconds online or a minute with a gate agent checking loads is pretty selfish.

You only offer one jumpseat per flight. At least let an offline pilot use it.[/QUOTE]

You need to understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with 'hogging' or 'being lazy'. It has everything to do with a commuting pilot properly planning his/her trip to/from work. The jumpseat reservation ASSURES the pilot will have a seat on that flight regardless of what the back looks like. I can almost guarantee that most Delta guys would be more than happy to let you have the jumpseat if there are available seats in the back. If you're a commuter then you would know that checking loads and the accuracy of those numbers don't hold much truth.

The next time you attempt to check in for a Delta jumpseat and it's taken ask the agent if the JS is taken by a Delta pilot. Scope him/her out, walk over, introduce yourself, and 'splain the situation. You just may surprise yourself....

Inclusivescope,

"179 empty seats and the General still thinks we need larger planes!"

Really smart comment! (genius caliber) The poster said it was the last flight out of LGA for the night--probably a position flight. I just got off a long 4 day and we were mostly full on every flight--even Song.

If I were that jumpseater---I would have found the guy filed for the Delta jump and would have asked him if he could non-rev---which I AM SURE he would have.

I think management was miffed that we asked for unlimted jumpseats, and to counter that--they said they wanted to possibly take some away. The end result will probably be status quo---and there isn't much we can do about it at the moment---we don't have much leverage. Hopefully people can understand that and not make comments like "Red" is doing over at Jetblue---"They better keep um or else!"

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back