Unlimited Jumpseaters on Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
michael707767 said:
Gate agents can be real pricks. I have witnessed that myself, picking up the paperwork and watching as an agent happily tells some pilot the jumpeat is already taken. I intervened in that case, asked our online pilot to non rev in back and got the offline pilot on the jumpseat, which seemed to piss off the agent. Have to say I enjoyed pissing off that agent.

I would not bet on Delta getting more jumpseat access though. Management is actually asking for the opposite, they want to get rid of the jumpseat for offline pilots, or something to that effect.
I am starting to wonder if being completely unprofessional is a requirement to be a Delta gate agent. News flash!! Just because you are having a bad day doesn't give you the right to be a total b@#ch! I'm just trying to get to work. For the record my cockpit doors are always open to my fellow pilots.

From blusideup:The next time you attempt to check in for a Delta jumpseat and it's taken ask the agent if the JS is taken by a Delta pilot. Scope him/her out, walk over, introduce yourself, and 'splain the situation. You just may surprise yourself....
user_offline.gif

...or better yet avoid taking DAL in the first place. I'd rather pay Airtran the 30 bucks to be JS #2 than anxiously sit around a DL gate "scoping" out the non-rev DL pilots to ask them to ride a pass.

no cigar

>>>>You need to understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with 'hogging' or 'being lazy'. It has everything to do with a commuting pilot properly planning his/her trip to/from work. The jumpseat reservation ASSURES the pilot will have a seat on that flight regardless of what the back looks like. I can almost guarantee that most Delta guys would be more than happy to let you have the jumpseat if there are available seats in the back. If you're a commuter then you would know that checking loads and the accuracy of those numbers don't hold much truth.

Bluesideup,

I understand what you're saying. That's not something unique to Delta in any way. Any pilot could use that arguement. The fact remains that every day tons of Delta flights leave the gate with empty seats available and stranded jumpseaters because a Delta pilot reflexively snagged the jumpseat out of habbit.

Sometimes its easy enough to see the Delta pilot in uniform sitting by the gate, or the commuter in civilian clothes who just happens to be wearing black pants with the purdy neat stuff bag. But quite often the pilot in question signed up for the jumpseat long ago and is chilling out in the crew lounge nowhere to be found. Even if you can sopt him 5 minutes prior as he strolls up to the gate, good luck getting an agent to deal with you at that time.

Guys, all you have to do is list for the flight with your pass card. Then about 30 minutes to an hour prior tell the agent you are listed, but want the jumpseat ONLY if there is another jumpseater or (of course) to help another non pilot non rev get on. You can't always find the Delta pilot, and you've got to realize that lots of jumpseaters are told to pound every day because its "already taken" even with 100 open seats in the back. Yes I know that loads can change, but if you're on the jumpseat its your responsibility to make sure you didn't screw an off liner just because you were too lazy to do the right thing.

mach zero said:
From blusideup:...or better yet avoid taking DAL in the first place. I'd rather pay Airtran the 30 bucks to be JS #2 than anxiously sit around a DL gate "scoping" out the non-rev DL pilots to ask them to ride a pass.
Point of Clarification: It is $25, not $30 for the #2 jumpseater and all subsequent pilots trying to ride the jumpseat. This policy does not sit well with the AirTran pilots and it WILL be addressed in Contract 2005.

9rj9 said:
is the dork captains putting on extra fuel they don't need, seen it many times, clear and a million, adding 2000 extra lbs, thats over 10 people.
No no no..it is the tool captains that don't know how to manage fuel to get an extra 185 lbs on in the jumpseat. They think they are being professional.

I can make 185lbs of jet fuel dispapear real quick on jet....

The jumpseat is like Dubya's educational policy!!

No one gets left behind!!........

dlredline said:
Was "victim of loads" just the other day with Independence Air from JFK to IAD. One seat left, one ACA pilot non-revving, and me in line for JS. Twist to the story was that the pilot and gate agent worked in harmony to get me on. Very professional, and much appreciated.Red
Whew.... I was hoping we did ok. Fellas, here is a couple things on Independence Air....

Since we are just starting up our brand, there are LOTS of seats available.
Gate agents are new to the system, so they maybe be fustrated trying to enter jumpseaters. If you are sitting in the cabin anyway, you can just fill out the paper copy. I can't imagine a IA pilot not wanting to get you on...find any of us and we'll help. We have an unlimited jumpseat policy.

Also, all of our agreements are intact. We are still operating under the same FAA Part 121 certificate and airline code of DH. In the appollo system is ODH (for offline).

Come one, come all.

Last edited:
DonVerita said:
Point of Clarification: It is $25, not $30 for the #2 jumpseater and all subsequent pilots trying to ride the jumpseat. This policy does not sit well with the AirTran pilots and it WILL be addressed in Contract 2005.
Actually it is $28. I think they throw in an additional $3 for tax or a security fee. I have been charged that amount a couple of times. But still thankful to get onboard and home.

Unlimited Jumpseaters on Delta? For who?

Just my $.02. While you guys are trying to get unlimited jumpseats for pilots, how about going all the way (sts) and ask for the same for offline flight attendants?

The airlines that allow flight attendants to jumpseat have also been hosting many pilots from Delta and others that don't allow offline flight attendants. Don't you think they deserve a break for taking care of you and the other pilots in the industry.

It is just a shame to see empty seats go unused, with pilots and flight attendants left sitting at the gate. It cost almost nothing to allow unlimited, just a little time by the gate agents to process the paperwork.

Again, just my $.02. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back