Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cannot find icon.....Ahhhhhh!!!!

Falcon Capt,

I can't find that icon. Darn it anyhow! Even if I copy it, is there any way to convert to a .ppt file?

BTW, do you know any of the Phoenox based Garrett/Allied Signal/Honeywell pilots that test the engines for the DA-20 retrofit?

Thanks for the effort,

SR

To save the file: "Right click on the link and click save link as."

I have the full version of Arcobat and might be able to make a Powerpoint file, I'll see later.

Anyway some one in UAL's IT department will be yelled at.

Re: Cannot find icon.....Ahhhhhh!!!!

Skyrunner said:
Falcon Capt,

I can't find that icon. Darn it anyhow! Even if I copy it, is there any way to convert to a .ppt file?

BTW, do you know any of the Phoenox based Garrett/Allied Signal/Honeywell pilots that test the engines for the DA-20 retrofit?

Thanks for the effort,

SR

I am not aware of anyway to convert it back to Powerpoint (.PPT)

I don't know any Garrett pilots... sorry...

Falcon Capt.

Graias

Thanks. Got it. If you convert it to a ppt file, can you give me a holler. Thanks.

SR

It;s a PDF file - adobe acrobat. And I do recognize those names - Jake Brace, Sara Fields, all VPs of this and that over at UAL...

Authenticity

I'm sure the file is legit. It was also referenced at USAviation.com and linked to at www.the-mechanic.com. Furthermore, it fits rather well with recent news reports, to the extent that it could hardly be considered a "parody."

FlyChicaga said:
Because of the way it is formatted, there is no way to convert it to PPT format simply. There MAY (big may) be a way to copy each single sheet and paste it into PowerPoint, however. But I doubt it.

PS: I doubt this is false. Like said before, who would type up 22something pages if it was fake? :rolleyes:

I played around with Acrobat, about the only way that I can see turning it to a PPT file would be to export the pages as JPG files and import them into Powerpoint, real dirty process for a 220+ page file. Also your going to need the full version of Acrobat to do it, not just the free reader.

Holy Frijoles !!!

Holy Power Point Batman !!!

It was facinating to read through what United sees as the vulnerabilities and the strategy they perceive as the answer.

This cannot be very encouraging to United guys (and gals) on many fronts.

There were some honest self-observations and some pretty good strategy in a variety of areas. But it also sounds like Ebola is more palatable to management than any "Scope Clause" restrictions. Page 177 shows how they want a 6% fleet growth between 2003 & 2008. That is 725 to 769 aircraft but mainline would shrink 25% losing 166 aircraft while United express would grow to 35% of the total fleet. BTW only 1 more widebody in the fleet by 08.

Two things jumped out at me as I read through the mass of numbers mixed in with a generous serving of business gooble-de-gook. You know, Leadership will clearly articulate the vision of a robust buisness strategy and a compelling customer value proposition and should then develop an attractive employee value proposition that creates alignment so customers will recognize superior value delivery thereby propelling the paradigm of profitability prepratory to the AAAAGGGHH!

Anyway, #1. On pg. 126 I thought it was interesting that the target CASM (Cost per Available Seat Mile) was that of Delta's. That means that according to their own #'s non-labor costs need to only drop 3% but labor costs must decrease 29% ! In fact all through the presentation labor is made out to be the major barrier to United's "Rising." This is interesting in light of the company's aggressive growth and pursuit of a merger with US Air while seemingly "not minding the store" a few years ago and maybe now as well. The Financial Times said this today, "United is particularly vulnerable to rising fuel costs because it has no fuel hedges in place for 2003. The cost of jet fuel has already doubled from a year ago, putting the airline at risk of breaching the covenants of its debtor-in-possession financing."

#2, on pg. 204 they point out that Employee confidence in Leadership is at 23% !!! The required action, in their own words is "Model the values and behavior that we expect our employees to uphold." Furthermore the message to the workforce is supposed to be:
- "Our employees are our greatest assets."
- "UA is a great place to work."

This being said it is interesting that they propose a 29% pay cut for the pilots and a 7% average pay cut for management. Some how the "Do it for the Gipper" speech that goes "Come on guys I know it is almost a third of your pay but times are tough, we are in trouble, heck I'm even taking a 7% pay cut !!!" just would not inspire me that much. I will conceed that unions can greatly hurt the flexibility of a buisness and some union members have downright destructive and negative attitudes that drag everything down but I think United needs to look at more than just the unions to get themselves out of this tailspin. And I hope they do, I have good friends there and I don't want to see them in my position (furloughed).

This story came to mind as I read the slides....

A Japanese company and an American company decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race. On the big day the Japanese won by a mile.

Afterwards, the American team became very discouraged and morally depressed. The American management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat had to be found. A measurement Team made up of senior management was formed. They would investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion
was that the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the Americans had 1 person rowing and 8 people steering.

So - American management hired a consulting company and paid them incredible amounts of money. They advised that too many people were steering the boat and not enough people were rowing. To prevent losing to the Japanese again next year, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized
to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program," with meetings, dinners, and free pens for the rower: "We must give the rower empowerment and enrichments through this
quality program."

The next year the Japanese won by 2 miles. Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. Then they gave a High Performance Award to the steering managers
and distributed the money saved as bonuses to the senior executives.

Since United compared themselves to Southwest in every other slide, perhaps they ought to compare the size and compensation of management between the two companies as well.

Last edited:
Great post

Sidesaddle,

Great post. I am probably going to use this presentation for at least the next 15 years. I hope United goes through with the plans and succeeds. It will be great to compare and contrast the airline industry 15 years from now. It's definitely an E-ticket ride.

Ya'll take care and fly safe,

SR

Latest resources

Back