Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Press ReleaseSource: United Airlines United Takes Action to Protect Customers, Employees
Wednesday July 30, 3:13 pm ET
United Seeks Injunction to Stop Unlawful Job Actions of ALPA and Certain Pilots
CHICAGO, July 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines today filed a lawsuit asking a federal court to stop the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) and certain pilots from continuing to engage in deliberate, organized and unlawful job actions that resulted in hundreds of flights being canceled and impacted thousands of customers and employees.The lawsuit seeks a preliminary injunction against ALPA and four named pilots for organized sick leave abuse in opposition to the company's plan to reduce its fleet size and furlough pilots and to pressure United into renegotiating terms of a collective bargaining agreement that remains in effect through 2009. The lawsuit also seeks an end to a public campaign of intimidation that discourages pilots from picking up additional flying, effectively engaging in a slowdown.
"It is absolutely irresponsible for ALPA to promote unlawful behavior, particularly in this environment, when the industry is taking unprecedented actions to offset record fuel costs," said Pete McDonald, executive vice president and chief administrative officer. "Our employees are working hard to make our company successful. We are going to ensure the integrity of our operation and will not allow the actions of ALPA and certain pilots to continue to harm our customers, our employees and our company."
McDonald said the company pursued every other possible resolution -- at significant financial cost -- before pursuing litigation. These included increasing reserve pilot staffing and negotiating with ALPA to modify some of the work rules in the current agreement.
United also noted that the rate of first officer sick leave in certain fleets is up 103 percent this summer. Further, driven by ALPA directives and intimidation, picking up additional flying, as is standard practice throughout the industry, has dropped precipitously compared to that of previous years. In 2006, pilots were five times more likely to fly additional trips compared to today.
"The job actions have escalated, and the impact on our customers and employees is unacceptable, and must stop," McDonald said.
About United
United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA - News) operates more than 3,200* flights a day on United and United Express to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is one of the largest international carriers based in the United States. United also is a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 975 destinations in 162 countries worldwide. United's 55,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.
*Based on United's flight schedule between Jan. 1, 2008, and Dec. 31, 2008.

Source: United Airlines

picking up additional flying, as is standard practice throughout the industry, has dropped precipitously compared to that of previous years.

Oh, gee, really? "Standard practice" has dropped?

Then call back some of the furloughed pilots and get the flights on open time filled up.

Management sucks all around! They use courts to ream employees up the as$, and my sympathy goes to the United pilot group.

What numbnut would pick up open time if there are furloughs at the airline?

Spineless!

That's how I feel too, but I guess we all need to be careful on how we put the word out....

We'll be charged with racketeering or trying to undermine the goodwill of the company. The place I used to work never treated reserves as true reserves. They were in fact part of the work group, and we put a real hurting on the company when we all stood together and refused overtime.

If the ones who are facing furlough have any sick time built up and are not going to be paid for it when they leave, what the hell did the company expect? I'd be using up all of mine too!

but I guess we all need to be careful on how we put the word out....

The union can't say anything. But neither should they have to.

It's common sense. When there are furloughs, then do NOT pick up open time! If the airline is 'hurting' that bad, then they should recall some of the furloughed to help the staffing.

Unfortunately, too many 'generation ME' pilots do not care about the furloughee pilots. It's all about, me, Me, MEEE, and what *I* can get!

The union can't say anything. But neither should they have to.

It's common sense. When there are furloughs, then do NOT pick up open time! If the airline is 'hurting' that bad, then they should recall some of the furloughed to help the staffing.

Unfortunately, too many 'generation ME' pilots do not care about the furloughee pilots. It's all about, me, Me, MEEE, and what *I* can get!

Nobody is furloughed yet - just letters sent out. Furloughs start in SEP........

You were saying?..........

When they raise the wages and don't have furloughing, I might pickup open flying. Until then, I won't pickup flying. When there is a financial incentive, perhaps, but not at the current rates.

Moreover, sick leave is an earned benefit per the contract. If they want to drop usage, pay out the earned and unused sick time. It's unreasonable to fly a pilot forced overtime (which is the norm) and deny sick leave pay, then furlough. Just my opinion.

The sad thing is that they'll probably get lucky with a Bush-appointed judge and win this BS lawsuit in court.

Latest resources

Back