• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Q1 $542M loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah 2.9 billion and losing 500million every 3 months??

2.9 will not last long?

Pull out the special dividend and profit sharing, both of which are likely nonrecurring, and you're just a hair under $300M per quarter.
They paid down a lot of debt last year so that there's several billion of unencumbered assets available to get loans on.

yeah 2.9 billion and losing 500million every 3 months??

2.9 will not last long?

1) We're not losing 500M every 3 months, unless you're assuming that our normally strong quarters (2nd&3rd) are going to be as weak as our first quarter.
2) We had a NET loss of 500M for this quarter, which is usually a weak quarter.
3) A NET loss of 500M does not mean a company has burned through 500M in cash. Their are no cash items (like depreciation) that the 500M includes that is not immediate cash out of pocket.
4) I doubt we could burn through all that 2.9B before we'd get into trouble. It would probably happen (estimate) 1B sooner than that.

With Oil at $120 a barrel and climbing with no end in sight, it doesn't really matter........

Mergers don't change the price of oil.

Airlines will park airplanes and raise fares. It is the only option.

All of us are screwed........Period.

With Oil at $120 a barrel and climbing with no end in sight, it doesn't really matter........

All of us are screwed........Period.

Thats right I have so many people telliing me oh don't worry we have 30 years of oil that has been found in the Dakota's, Brazil found a bunch of it......etc. Get your heads out of the sand.....that oil does no good in the ground this is an acute problem in the big picture but will be terminal for many airlines that won't make it through by the time they start recovering any of this oil. Other countries have growing economies that are increasing demand for energy while ours is shrinking right now. We barely manufacture anything here anymore and it's catching up.

Andy, you nincumpoop...go suck on your binky to help with those anxiety attacks.

I bought my stock at $14., and it will take a catastrophic depression to get back there. ERJ is well diversified in the world market, and Brazil is presently a creditor nation that imports no oil (who would have thought) and has just discovered a huge oil deposit offshore.

Neeleman will make another fortune in his new venture, as long as they remove him prior to the airline maturing. Brazil is the place to be in the coming years. They are going from a third world has been, to an economic powerhouse in the next decade.

:pimp:

Brazil, like many of its neighbors has been on the brink of becomming a super power for decades. Military Coups, a completely lopsided distribution of wealth, and political ineptitute have killed every opportunity thus far. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it all comes together this time.

Brazil is the place to be in the coming years. They are going from a third world has been, to an economic powerhouse in the next decade.

You may be right, but don't bet your farm on it. I have very clear memories of elementary school civics around 1974, and the textbook had a whole section about how Brazil was the next superpower. They were very sure of it, and it was just about to happen. They even talked about Brazil and ethanol.
Of course, the same text had black-and-white pictures from China which showed crowds of people on bicycles, wearing pajamas and silly caps, and implied they were a has-been backwater...

Don't know why I remember that little bit of trivia from my youth, but it's true!

Brazil, like many of its neighbors has been on the brink of becomming a super power for decades. Military Coups, a completely lopsided distribution of wealth, and political ineptitute have killed every opportunity thus far. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it all comes together this time.
I would hardly concur that anyone in South America has been on the cusp of economic superpower. Argentina and Brazil are the only two nations that have demonstrated any promise, but neither ever had the combination of gov't structure and natural resource wealth to achieve any long lasting prosperity. Brazil still has much poverty but they will have the job growth in the next decade to put the millions of indigenous people to work. Social programs to educate and train these people will be the foundation of their success. Will it be perfect?....never is.....but they will be a nation to respect in the 21st century. They have lots of upside, where on the other hand, the US has much work to do to take back the gov't from big business. The fathers of the Constitution would be ashamed.

You may be right, but don't bet your farm on it. I have very clear memories of elementary school civics around 1974, and the textbook had a whole section about how Brazil was the next superpower. They were very sure of it, and it was just about to happen. They even talked about Brazil and ethanol.
Of course, the same text had black-and-white pictures from China which showed crowds of people on bicycles, wearing pajamas and silly caps, and implied they were a has-been backwater...

Don't know why I remember that little bit of trivia from my youth, but it's true!
Yeah, the days of the oil embargo and Brasilia were a shooting star. Could have worked, if OPEC had stuck together and kept the price of oil high.

Could have another monkey wrench thrown at oil if the world slips into a depression. $50-150 bbl for oil will keep Brazil's economy flush with money, but if it slips below $50 they are in trouble or above $150...the world is in trouble.

:pimp:​

Latest resources

Back