• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United MEC announces 100-200 Furloughee Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
know the arbitrator, hate the arbitrator-I am just saying from experience. :) good luck guys

i wouldn't say it's a negative spin, it's the reality of the situation. The united subsidiary is not recalling pilots; the continental subsidiary has a vacancy bid with 201 openings and the united furloughees have first dibs on hiring to fill those vacancies. That's it.

The good news is that they will receive medical benefits from day one, and starting pay will be the rate they had when they were furloughed or continental's rate based on years of service, whichever is higher. Even though they will be sitting reserve, they will be paid higher than a lot of continental fos. That's a good thing in my book. Heck, i would do it just for the 737 type rating and see what happens :) another benefit would be the exposure to our horrible reserve work rules so the other side knows why our exptectations of this contract are so high.

Whether they accept the offer or not has no impact on the sli whatsoever. The truth of the matter is that a senior furloughee at united would be a 737 captain at continental today, and as of right now they are still furloughed by the united subsidiary. Unless united actually recalls before the seniority snapshot is taken for sli purposes, no united pilot should be integrated ahead of any continental pilot since cal has no furloughs right now. I look back on the career paths of the group that has been furloughed twice, and i can empathize because the last ten years have been pretty $hitty for them, but the seniority list integration is not an opportunity for them to get a do-over. They are living with the choices they made, just as cal pilots hired after 2005 are living with the choices they made. Otherwise, this can turn into a usair/amwest type of fiasco and we have too much at stake with the jcba to get distracted by infighting.

i say keep both companies seperate for 5 years...let all comeback. Then date of hire combined...how about that mr?

i say keep both companies seperate for 5 years...let all comeback. Then date of hire combined...how about that mr?

How about keep them seperate for the next 40 years, then date of oldest sibling combined(no siblings then you get position by an independent panel based on ability to style women's hair), with option to challenge for seniority with other pilot by means of American Gladiator.

I don't think that would be too bad. As long as CAL scope prevails and longevity is factored into DOH.

Last edited:
The arbitrator will decide. Both MECs will want to claim that they're victims of the arbitrator's decision. And both will.

Wasn't there something about a panel of 3 arbitrators deciding the SLI? Did something change or did I just get it wrong?

Often I am accused of being too glass half full, and this is just my opinion but I am well informed.

Looking at the bid results snapshot, with even the smallest contractural improvement there is going to be huge upward mobility for everyone at this airline. I'm certainly not trying to imply that we settle for some small improvement in our contract. Not at all. What I'm saying is that both groups have gone so long without any sort of real increase, that when it happens, it's going to have huge results. CAL has only had two bids this size in the last decade, which I realize is more than UAL unfortunatly. We get scope, get the rightful retirement progression started again, and get some work rules and it should be a real breath of fresh air for everyone.

That being said, it certainly is unfortunate that this wasn't the same for UAL in the last decade. All we did at CAL was try to spread out the pain. We froze the A plan but kept scope. What the senior UAL guys did was absolutely awful (threw away scope to protect the A fund, then lost it too). We can't let those types make any more decisions. I think the UAL recalls will begin to see how much they were sold out by their senior pilots when they start to fly the line at CAL. We have plenty of problem-senior types at CAL as well, don't get me wrong. But the senior UAL pilots made unbelievably bad decisions.

I don't think that would be too bad. As long as CAL scope prevails and longevity is factored into DOH.

If you mean longevity not counting time "hired" at CAL, then it might work. But in the end, it would be the same as relative seniority of active pilots then adding the furloughs to the bottom. I don't know how many of the furloughed pilots actually have five years of service with United.

Latest resources

Back