United Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BBB,
Be a sweetie and encourage EVERYONE to go to a legacy. I need as little competition for FedEx for my honey as possible. Be a sweetie will ya? ;)

Sorry Mega... it was a moment of weakness.

Trust me... we ALL hope your "sugar britches" makes something of himself! :D

BBB

It helps being a chick thats for sure. Anyone says anything diffrent they are living a lie... If I was a chick I would take it. Its not them its a political thing though.

Good luck. I'm sure you're aware that the CEO of your new employer says his number one priority is finding a merger partner. :eek:

IMO... you're entering this quagmire with your eyes open. Please don't be like so many others and post here in a year or two when "you're shocked to hear the news of your furlough/stapling".

BBB

Big Beer Belly,

I'm well aware what I'm jumping into. I know there are many bad things that could happen. Maybe its short sighted on my part, but I hate commuting to my current job at JFK. United gives me the chance to drive to work in under an hour. I'll risk being stapled for that at this time in my life.

For all the risk involved...I think there is a lot of upside potential at UAL. They have no where to go but up from here. JMHO.

Scott

Good luck. I'm sure you're aware that the CEO of your new employer says his number one priority is finding a merger partner. :eek:

IMO... you're entering this quagmire with your eyes open. Please don't be like so many others and post here in a year or two when "you're shocked to hear the news of your furlough/stapling".

BBB

Hey BBB you have a good job, there is no reason for you to even post on this thread.

Hey BBB you have a good job, there is no reason for you to even post on this thread.

Stan... I'm not feeling the love. :p

BTW... which threads may I post on?

BBB

Stan... I'm not feeling the love. :p

BTW... which threads may I post on?

BBB

You won the lottery congrats. Why do you have to put someone down because they are happy they got a job?

Don't stoop to the level of the old legacy pilots and start asking guys "When are you going to get a real job?"

Why do you have to put someone down because they are happy they got a job?

In re-reading my post I agree that (due to brevity) it came across as callous. My intent was to remind job-seeking pilots that a company's hiring and its financial health are not necessarily connected. UAL has recently emerged from bankruptcy and remains in a financially precarious state. By all accounts its employees are demoralized, their contracts gutted, pay/pension slashed, and its CEO has expressed no cohesive plan for the future. Tilton has publicly stated he is seeking a merger partner (i.e., UAL's continued viability as a stand alone carrier is in doubt).

IMO... if one knowingly seeks employment with UAL, or a carrier in a similar predicament, then one is making a long shot wager with his career. IF the wager doesn't pay off, then it is a little disingenuous to complain about one's "hard luck" in the future.

On the other hand, everyone's life circumstances are different and the risk of a move like this might not be as great for some. The opportunity cost of lost seniority at another healthier carrier is always a player, however.

YMMV,

BBB

BBB, unfortunately, not everyone can work at Brown or Purple. There's only so many "stable" jobs to go around, and many thousands of pilots looking to get out of the regionals or the military and start their major airline career. The fact is, if you don't know a few people at FedEx or UPS, then you simply aren't going to get an interview.

Also, keep in mind that the carriers that looked the least desirable 10 years ago are some of the most sought after jobs today. This industry is a crap-shoot. For all we know, SWA could be in bankruptcy in five years, and UAL could have merged with CAL, not furloughed, and be making tons of money. Stranger things have happened in this business. If you get offered a job at any major carrier, then you'd be crazy to pass it up. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep your app updated at Brown or Purple, but passing up a class date at UAL just to keep sitting in an RJ at a regional doesn't make any sense.

Latest resources

Back