• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Hiring Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1,400 still furloughed at 400 per year is 3 1/2 years, possibly less time for growth airplanes, depending on whether the combined airline shrinks in the near future? Then another year or two of 400 per year retirements to have enough new-hires to push a person hired now off reserve = 4 - 6 years, depending on the hiring variable and if people don't take recall?

Not looking to start over, just lurking and didn't realize that many people were still on the street there... Being furloughed sucks, I know. Hope everyone gets back if they want to sooner than later!

Incorrect. More than 400 UAL have come over to the CAL side. They will have to hire sooner rather than later. The work rules, combined with FAR rest rule changes will drive new hiring off the street.

1,400 still furloughed at 400 per year is 3 1/2 years, possibly less time for growth airplanes, depending on whether the combined airline shrinks in the near future? Then another year or two of 400 per year retirements to have enough new-hires to push a person hired now off reserve = 4 - 6 years, depending on the hiring variable and if people don't take recall?

Not looking to start over, just lurking and didn't realize that many people were still on the street there... Being furloughed sucks, I know. Hope everyone gets back if they want to sooner than later!

The total number of LUAL furloughs is 1435 (was 1437; one died and one turned 65). The actual number is probably lower; I only know of those two.

There are ~400 LUAL pilots currently flying at LCAL or in the training pipeline.

LUAL pilots have 10 years' recall rights from date of furlough. That has not changed in the new contract, so all pilots under the new contract will have 10 years' recall rights. Because of this, many will not return anytime in the near future.

On the last round of LUAL recalls in 2006-2008, approximately 2/3s of 2172 returned to LUAL. Those that bypassed a second time lost all recall rights (the 10 year recall rights were added in the contract rewrite).

The number of retirements in 2006-2008 at LUAL were less than the combined LUAL/LCAL retirements.

The new contract is supposed to require ~700 more pilots in order to fly in accordance with the contract.

737 training at LCAL is maxed out. When I went through training, someone high up in the training dept talked to our class and stated that they were looking 'worldwide' for available 737 sim time. AFAIK, no sim outsourcing has occurred yet.

Prior to the new contract, all LUAL furloughees had been offered a training slot at LCAL and they began to hire off of the street.

How many LUAL furloughees will return due to the new contract? Maybe another 400. That would tie up current available training for another year. If they outsource sim time, that time decreases.

Any off the street hiring taking place in January?

I ran into a trainee in IAH. He had been hired at UAL in 2008 but never got a class date. He's in an early December class.
While it's off the street hiring, that's not exactly what you wanted to know.
The last time I heard the pilot in charge of hiring, Capt Charlie Venema, discussing the hiring plan (it's been a few months), they were going to initially offer jobs to furloughed ALPA pilots first and then open hiring up to all pilots. He specifically mentioned a hiring preference to Comair pilots.

With the new contract, I would expect a decent number of LUAL 2007-2008 newhires to accept a job at LCAL. The payrates are significantly better than what they would have returned to under the old contract. There were only ~195 newhires at LUAL in 2007/8 and some have already accepted jobs at LCAL so this isn't a gamechanger.

Again, the hiring plan is somewhat dated information. I'll try to update once I get a chance to talk to someone in training. Since I'm IAH based and stay in some of the same hotels as trainees, I get a pretty good idea of new class composition.

Any off the street hiring taking place in January?

Have you been paying any attention to anything? I swear you are a half retarded 4th grader. I hope someone does finally hire you somewhere so these types of questions finally vanish... There are endless threads on all information and questions you have ever asked.

I was hired in early 2008 by LUAL and never received a class date. 3/24/2008 was when I received a letter from Kay stating that classes were put on hold.

I haven't heard anything from UAL recently. Any idea if they are going to call the rest of those hired at LUAL who didn't have class dates?

Thanks!

I ran into a trainee in IAH. He had been hired at UAL in 2008 but never got a class date. He's in an early December class.
While it's off the street hiring, that's not exactly what you wanted to know.
The last time I heard the pilot in charge of hiring, Capt Charlie Venema, discussing the hiring plan (it's been a few months), they were going to initially offer jobs to furloughed ALPA pilots first and then open hiring up to all pilots. He specifically mentioned a hiring preference to Comair pilots.

With the new contract, I would expect a decent number of LUAL 2007-2008 newhires to accept a job at LCAL. The payrates are significantly better than what they would have returned to under the old contract. There were only ~195 newhires at LUAL in 2007/8 and some have already accepted jobs at LCAL so this isn't a gamechanger.

Again, the hiring plan is somewhat dated information. I'll try to update once I get a chance to talk to someone in training. Since I'm IAH based and stay in some of the same hotels as trainees, I get a pretty good idea of new class composition.

I was hired in early 2008 by LUAL and never received a class date. 3/24/2008 was when I received a letter from Kay stating that classes were put on hold.

I haven't heard anything from UAL recently. Any idea if they are going to call the rest of those hired at LUAL who didn't have class dates?

Thanks!

I sent you a PM.

Latest resources

Back