United hiring- emails sent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougarblue

Got an email from Charlie Venema saying United wanted to speak with me in the coming weeks/months. I heard a bunch of guys got the same thing and was wondering if anybody knows the skinny on that? And how many street hires they plan to hire this year. Also if you got an email could you share your stats?

7200 tt
4200 rj pic
LCA
Sim instructor
4 year degree
No internal recs
Miami job fair

Latest rumor is 500 for the year with hiring to continue on indefinitely after that. Here is a Q&A that might answer some of your questions.

Pilot Hiring
Questions and Answers – February 2013

Is United planning to hire in 2013?

Yes. Until we have an integrated pilot seniority list, subsidiary Continental Airlines has a need for additional pilots. Class starts as early as April 2013 are presently available.

Does United still have pilots on furlough?

Yes. To date, 88 of 1437 pilots have been offered recall to the United seniority list. Another 500 (approximate) furloughed pilots have volunteered to fill new-hire classes at the Continental Airlines subsidiary, but retain recall rights to the United subsidiary seniority list. Once the United and Continental seniority lists are integrated, furloughed pilots will have recall rights to the combined list.

Whose contract and seniority list would I fall on?

All pilots hired before the seniority lists are integrated will work under the terms of the United Pilot Agreement (UPA) and will be placed on the Continental subsidiary seniority list.

What aircraft and bases can new hires expect?

We are filling vacancies on the 737 in Newark, Houston, Cleveland and Guam. We also are filling vacancies on the 757/767 fleet in Newark and Houston.

Could a new hire get assigned to Guam?

Yes. Our Pacific operation is an important part of our global network. Pilots staffed in Guam have a unique opportunity to fly throughout Micronesia and Asia. This is a 737 base only and could be assigned to any class.

Where do I apply for a position at United?

We are using AirlineApps.com as our application portal. Pilots who previously applied to the United Airlines subsidiary only will need to submit a new application to United Airlines through AirlinesApps.com.

I have a Continental application already on file with AirlineApps.com. Do I need to reapply?

No. All Continental applications have been converted to new United Airlines applications. The addendum section of your application should be checked to make sure you have answered new questions since this conversion occurred.

What will the hiring process look like for the new United?

We will be combining best practices from both legacy airlines in our new process. Qualified applicants will be invited to take an online job fit assessment and will participate in a brief telephone screening. Competitive applicants may be invited to
participate in a skills assessment and a panel interview at one of our training centers located in Denver or Houston.

How much hiring are you planning to do?

Our numbers are dependent first on the decisions of the currently furloughed United pilots. They will always be given first preference for any class offering. Remaining positions will be filled by new-hire pilots from outside the company. As this number is unknown, we cannot project with certainty the total number of new hires. We are planning to fill at least 230 positions through May of 2013.

How will my seniority work if I am hired?

A pilot hired from outside of the company will be placed on the Continental subsidiary seniority list junior to any furloughed United pilot who accepts a class date regardless of when that furloughed United pilot comes to training.

What do retirements look like at United?

United will retire about 4,000 pilots in the next 10 years, and by 2026 will retire 50% of those currently on the seniority lists.

What are minimum qualifications?

Applicants must meet all FAA requirements for the ATP, including 1,000 hours of fixed wing turbine time. A college degree is preferred, as is additional experience that would be of value to United. For a complete list of minimum qualifications, please go to AirlineApps.com or United.jobs.

Cougarblue, congrats. I don't have the hiring answer for you but they're so far behind on hiring that I wouldn't be surprised if that 500 number gets revised upward. My guess would be 500 off the street plus furloughed recalls.

For those of you who got the e-mail, what was the subject line/title of the e-mail? I get about 50 junk e-mails a day and I'm scanning them all the time, including my spam folder, but it would really help to know what to look for.

For those of you who got the e-mail, what was the subject line/title of the e-mail? I get about 50 junk e-mails a day and I'm scanning them all the time, including my spam folder, but it would really help to know what to look for.

"Beelzebub has selected you as a potential oarsman on one of his slave ships."

"You won the lottery.. In some African country"
Just send us your soc sec number, bank account number and your birthdate (so we can tell you your seniority within your new hire class)

"You won the lottery.. In some African country"
Just send us your soc sec number, bank account number and your birthdate (so we can tell you your seniority within your new hire class)

That made my day...

My email was titles United@AirlineApps, or something close to that

Latest resources

Back