Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly2AK

United Airlines Gunning For Growth in 2010

By Ted Reed 12/09/09 - 12:18 PM EST Stock quotes in this article: UAUA , CAL , LCC , AMR

CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- United(UAUA Quote) says it underperformed competitors in the recession and will outperform as the recession ends.
"In the current recessionary environment, we've had disproportionate pressure on business and premium traffic," said CFO Kathryn Mikells on Wednesday. "The good news is that there are signs of recovery on the horizon and we expect to outperform the industry in terms of our unit revenue growth." The carrier said that in 2007, it ranked second among the five network carriers in passenger revenue per available seat mile, trailing only Continental(CAL Quote). But in the third quarter of 2009, United ranked fourth, ahead of US Airways(LCC Quote). Mikells said that in September, United's performance in terms of unit revenue declines was "slightly better than our peers."
United is also the leading U.S. carrier to Asia, another area where the impact of the recession was disproportionate. However, Pacific travel is coming back, and Mikells noted that United is in a good position, partially due to its partnership with Japanese carrier ANA. Regarding the bidding war between American(AMR Quote) and Delta(DAL Quote) over a partnership with JAL, the other Japanese carrier, Mikells said, "I don't think it hurts to have our peers upping the ante."
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1064...nning-for-growth-in-2010.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEFI

What are your thoughts about UAL growth (more like regrowing what they lost) and the fate of furloughed UAL guys, ie recalls?

100 Seaters will be coming to Mainline

United Airlines to ask Embraer to bid on planes

Wed Dec 9, 2009 12:40pm EST

BRUSSELS, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Brazilian aircraft manufacturer Embraer (EMBR3.SA)(ERJ.N) will be invited to join a tender to supply narrow-bodied planes to United Airlines, the head of United's parent company UAL Corp (UAUA.O) said on Wednesday.
"We are going to go into the narrow-bodied (plane) market next year. We are going to invite Embraer into that competition," UAL Chief Executive Glenn Tilton said in an interview.
Tilton also said he was seeing a gradual, steady improvement in the corporate and international travel market and that media estimates of the size of discounts that UAL won on plane orders it placed this week were "on the low side".
Taking advantage of reduced market prices, United Airlines said on Tuesday it had placed a $10 billion-plus order for 50 wide-bodied jetliners divided between Airbus (EAD.PA) and Boeing Co (BA.N).
United has letters of intent to order 25 of Boeing's 787 Dreamliners and the same number of A350 planes from its European rival Airbus, part of EADS, following a six-month contest. The carrier also has future purchase rights for 50 of each aircraft. (Reporting by Pete Harrison, editing by Dale Hudson)

I sure hope those 100 seaters will go to United mainline.

Curious if the C-series bombardier is also at the table for negotiations? I just hope they never allow anything larger than the current RJ's on U property unless they are with mainline.

I like the misleading title of this article and growing in 2010. The only thing growing is a management bonus.

Sorry if it is misleading, the thread title was based on the title of the article "United Airlines Gunning For Growth in 2010" I am furloughed and currently flying in the sandpit and was curious on everyones opinions about United, on whether United will regain the aircraft lost and time frame for when us furloughed guys may get a chance to come back. I am making decent paycheck, but the desert is far from home. If my schedule here allowed me to travel home every month, I wouldn't be thinking about the recall as much. However, while I am here I want to make what I can and in the meantime keep an eye on the industry back home, particularly United.

Who would return to UAL if offered again?

I know a few UAL furloughees who have been furloughed at least twice - I doubt they will ever return after being burned so many times. Think about those people who returned to UAL (or even to USAirways) from Jet Blue who were furloughed again and now fully regret that decision.

UAL was once considered the "ultimate" airline for employment and now it has burned that bridge. How many furloughed UAL pilots on this board would not return if given the option in the next year or so? I guess it depends on whether you have found good work in the interim...

I know a few UAL furloughees who have been furloughed at least twice - I doubt they will ever return after being burned so many times. Think about those people who returned to UAL (or even to USAirways) from Jet Blue who were furloughed again and now fully regret that decision.

UAL was once considered the "ultimate" airline for employment and now it has burned that bridge. How many furloughed UAL pilots on this board would not return if given the option in the next year or so? I guess it depends on whether you have found good work in the interim...

I would return at this point in time. After a year of looking, I am absolutely empty-handed as far as flying jobs. I chose not to apply for any overseas flying or long distance commutes. I wouldn't mind flying a 100 seater...I just want the pay rate to be reasonable. I was one of the new hires from 2007 and would be coming back at the 2nd yr pay of $51 for the narrow body. I also live in the junior domicile.

Latest resources

Back