• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Growth in 2010

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
United will start recalling pilots, nobody will want to come back, United will be hiring off the street by summer.

Just a little bit of a stretch don't you think. Out of the 1400 unfortunate ones United will find enough to come back if they were to recall.

Just a little bit of a stretch don't you think. Out of the 1400 unfortunate ones United will find enough to come back if they were to recall.

How many of the 1400 would you guess are folks that are going to stay out..ie: 60+. I am sure there are some.

The only ones likely to come back are the ones sitting right seat at a Regional, flying for a 24/7 on-call charter company, or not flying at all.

I'd bet less than 10% of pilots who obtained jobs at JB, AAI, VA, etc will return.

Hiring by summer? Doubt it. Hiring sooner than they expect at Corporate? Probably. Will more than likely be a little surprise for them just how few return.

Sorry if it is misleading, the thread title was based on the title of the article "United Airlines Gunning For Growth in 2010" I am furloughed and currently flying in the sandpit and was curious on everyones opinions about United, on whether United will regain the aircraft lost and time frame for when us furloughed guys may get a chance to come back. I am making decent paycheck, but the desert is far from home. If my schedule here allowed me to travel home every month, I wouldn't be thinking about the recall as much. However, while I am here I want to make what I can and in the meantime keep an eye on the industry back home, particularly United.

My best to you and your family. Keep your head down and be safe. I am in the same position but on the "other side" of the world in Vietnam.

It also allowed me to save 60 days worth of pay for the Section 6 future :)

If your a furloughed pilot from United or other mainline airline and they ask you to return to work, do it if the conditions are favorable. The unemployment checks won't last forever.

Right now I am overseas making 5 times what I was making at United so there isn't a rush to get back. However, I do plan to come back, but only when I know I have the money in the bank to ride out hard times again if I need to. I don't want to be caught out, if a merger were to take place and not have an opportunity to come back or be stapled further to the bottom. Our biggest complaint here in the desert is the schedules, if it wasn't for the schedules and if I was able to commute this job would be great where I am at for the next 10 years anyways. So if United does start replacing the 737's they parked, I would be happy to see that.

The only ones likely to come back are the ones sitting right seat at a Regional, flying for a 24/7 on-call charter company, or not flying at all.

I'd bet less than 10% of pilots who obtained jobs at JB, AAI, VA, etc will return.

Hiring by summer? Doubt it. Hiring sooner than they expect at Corporate? Probably. Will more than likely be a little surprise for them just how few return.

I really don't think that JB, AAI and VA have been in some strong hiring boom....

CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- United(UAUA Quote) says it underperformed competitors in the recession and will outperform as the recession ends."In the current recessionary environment, we've had disproportionate pressure on business and premium traffic," said CFO Kathryn Mikells on Wednesday. "The good news is that there are signs of recovery on the horizon and we expect to outperform the industry in terms of our unit revenue growth."

That's actually pretty funny. She might as well have said "we sucked the most in 2009 so we have the most to gain in 2010."

I'm not hatin' on UAL, just got tickled at the way that read.

Gup

Latest resources

Back