• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United goes out of their way

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Capt. Jim and F.O. Christy went WAY beyond the call of duty to help me get home"

Remember while you got home that space positive ACA guy was then put back into the cabin which resulted (if the flight was booked full like you said) in a PAYING PAX not getting home.

AWACoff said:
The captain ends up delaying the flight 10 minutes to straighten everything out as the agents wanted him to leave the gate with an open seat (which I could obviously take). All said and done, Capt. Jim and F.O. Christy went WAY beyond the call of duty to help me get home. My hat is off to this crew. If all United employees care as much as these pilots (and the FAs...they were a fantastic bunch), United will not fail.
We even got into ORD early! Nice JOB!

This is how professionals treat others. Way to go 'Jim' and 'Christy'. If we all did this for each other, imagine how much better our collective QOL would be. I hope that we can all emulate the example of this great crew.

Wrong, the POSITIVE SPACE aca captain was IN the actual jumpseat. That's why I said it was wrong in my previous post. There were no revenue passengers left at the gate...just an open seat that the aca captain didn't take for some reason. I'm guessing the captain noticed something was amiss which is why he got me on the flight. Learlove, I certainly wouldn't mind if a paying passenger forced me to miss the flight. But the jumpseat is not to be used for company business. The aca captain seemed to be doing everything he could (on the phone with his CP, etc.). I am quite puzzled as to how this boiled down this way. The moral of the story though is that there are still employees at United that give a dang, dang it all.:)

Re: Re: United goes out of their way

stillaboo said:
This is how professionals treat others. Way to go 'Jim' and 'Christy'. If we all did this for each other, imagine how much better our collective QOL would be. I hope that we can all emulate the example of this great crew.

Treat unto others as you wish them to do unto you – concept some of those fine UAL guys & gals were not always familiar with before ch11. I’d hate to burst you all’s goody-goody 2 shoes emotional exchanges here, but the bottom line was – throughout my United Express employment I had commuted & the camaraderie described above did not exist. While I always have treated jumpseat as a privilege, NO mainline flight would ever be delayed to accommodate a jumpseater back then. So, gentlemen, let’s call a spade a spade…better yet, why don’t we ask ourselves why they haven’t always been so “helpful?” I’ll start: b/c prior to ch 11 some poor rich united boys & girls thought they were irreplaceable. Today whoever they would otherwise be turning away MAY BE their only employment lead tomorrow. Unless they want to keep stepping over their own d!cks - of course, they’ll go out of their way…

This is in no way to take away from those whose efforts were sincere as it must have not been easy keeping grounded when their & UAL’s success was imminent.

I HAVE to chime in here...

Since I read people extolling United's service in Chapter 11... I honestly don't have time to explain what UAL did to me (it has yet to be told in under two hours--literally), but I'm meeting with a Lawyer this next week to hopefully get UAL to move a bit to rectify the situation. What they did or did not do isn't particularly important here, the amazing thing is that United Airlines, as a company, failed to provide the barest of service to me, and ended up costing me a veritable fortune to get home (1/8 of the amount on my W-2 lthis year, mind you).

This wasn't a single incident, I dealt with MANY UAL employees, in different countries, cities and departments. Not one of them was helpful in the least, until an agent moved my seat to be next to my brother (after the "Service Director" specifically assigned us seat apart.) I hardly call that above average service, and yet, it was at the time.

But my experience isn't the biggest problem UAL is facing (as I will most definately not travel the friendly skies again). I know of a company that spends nine million dollars each year at United alone, and they are shopping for a bizjet. The specifically want to get away from UAL, but a little from other lines as well. The reason isn't the TSA, or lost time--it is the service of UAL.

Honestly, I can't believe that UAL is still afloat at all with the way we've been treated (and we've been dealing with attempting to get the problem fixed for two and a half weeks since the incident). I've turned down rather important things just to avoid flying on a United airplane.

I sure hope UAL can pull through, but I honestly can't see how that will happen. If their service doesn't get MUCH better soon, they'll be losing all the guys with laptops. Have you ever heard an airline employee tell a customer "there's nothing more I can do to help?" I have. Three times, in the same day, when there were still empty seats on an airplane (mine). you only get to say that once to a "1K" passenger before they take thier business elsewhere.

[RANT=OFF] Seriously, I am amazed that there exists something able to get me so worked up, but I'm gonna git me my money! Good luck UAL--you'll need it.

Dan

PS-I'd make a good radical I figure. Seems like I can rant with the best of them!

It's called morale. UAL's is painfully low at this point in time. With pay cuts especially regarding the cabin crew (not to be confused with flight crew) , the other ground support services, and the customer services agents service will be very strongly effected. These people were not being paid the astronomical salaries the flight crews were being paid so taking additional cuts is very painful. This all relates to morale. At this point those people probably feel like they either will not have a job in the near future or that the sacrificies that they have had to make are just not worth it. My heart goes out to them.

Unfortunately this poor morale will kill the company. I don't see that there is anything that they can do to improve the situation.

I sincerely hope that UAL will survive and prevail through these dark times.

The government should be bolstering up both United and American. These two companies were stabbed by Osama Bin Laden's dagger on September 11, 2001. We should not let them bleed to death. They are also the namesakes of our aviation industry. AMERICAN & UNITED! It would be a crime to let them die. Once again it would diminish our presence in the world.

The government should be bolstering up both United and American. These two companies were stabbed by Osama Bin Laden's dagger on September 11, 2001. We should not let them bleed to death. They are also the namesakes of our aviation industry. AMERICAN & UNITED! It would be a crime to let them die. Once again it would diminish our presence in the world. [/B]

Panam was "stabbed," too (Lockerbie) – I don’t remember the Gov-t “NOT letting them bleed to death.” BTW, Panam was also a “namesake” and a bigger one, too. Just as many would argue that it was as much “of a crime to let them die.” Oh, and… Panam’s disappearance didn’t diminish our presence in the world either, b/c the healthy ones filled in.

One thing I'll agree on is their morale, or lack of.

landed half way down the runway huh??
I'm sure the dude doesn't know exactly how far down the runway or how close to mins the jet was. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when the jet breaks out and you touch down five seconds later that it was pretty sh!tty. It also doesn't take Chuck Yeager to look outside and see the runway remaining markers. And I doubt he was the only pilot to ever be in the back seat and wonder if the pilot flying was gonna keep floating all the way to the end of the runway if it took that to get a grease job.

Greasers are nice, but not at the expense of useless concrete.

Give a guy a break.

Hey bigshots you know who you are...

Ive been commuting JFK to Sea and back for 12 years every 10 days . We were landing on 31 right at Jfk and wheels touched down as we approached theJET Blue Terminal ( Delta intersection)as per the APT diagram. As far as the weather I was listening to channel 9 and could hear ATC.

Latest resources

Back