United goes out of their way

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

I had an unbelievable jumpseat experience today. Bad weather yesterday and 2 CXs today caused everything to be overbooked. The gate agents were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I finally get to the cockpit and introduce myself. Very nice crew (Dulles to Chicago flight EDIT depature). I go to the jetway to grab my bags and the agent says a POSITIVE SPACE aca pilot is taking the jumpseat. Obviously that's not how it works in the jumpseat. The captain ends up delaying the flight 10 minutes to straighten everything out as the agents wanted him to leave the gate with an open seat (which I could obviously take). All said and done, Capt. Jim and F.O. Christy went WAY beyond the call of duty to help me get home. My hat is off to this crew. If all United employees care as much as these pilots (and the FAs...they were a fantastic bunch), United will not fail.
We even got into ORD early! Nice JOB!

Last edited:
For them and thousands of other good folks in all departments at UA I hope they survive. We only hear the negative comments, nice to hear some positive ones now and then.

UAL Employees

I have to agree. Since they filed CH 11, UAL employees have really been top notch. Very helpful. I would like to see nothing better than thier airline survive. Whereas AA employees are as bitchy as ever......I wonder how a lil' CH 11 would change thier attitude.

--03M

not my experience

1)I have been flying UAL for 12 years unfortunately today I was shocked at some shoddy customer service . they had 3 agents working at check in with a line of over 300 people it took people 2 hours to get to an agent and check in . I know for a fact many missed there flights for that reason.Meanwhile the Air Canada side of things ( covered by UAL) had 4 agents with 25 people checking in .

2) due to someones messup had to see the same movie twice as they forgot to board the west to east coast movie

3) had some bimbo in first class with a dog that was not only barking throughout the whole flight but the F/A condoned her taking the dog out during the flight .

4) On landing the FO landed real long ( 1/2 way down the runway) and startled me a bit weather was just above minimums so who am I to speak on that but it was definitly a little hairy to me .
I have been flying UAL and hope the airline does well but today was not there best showing . Chas

4) On landing the FO landed real long ( 1/2 way down the runway) and startled me a bit weather was just above minimums so who am I to speak on that but it was definitly a little hairy to me .

And you know this how???? Did you have the airport diagram out and watch the runway markings go by?

It always amazes me how low time, or any time pilots sitting in the back have a clue what's really going on.

landed half way down the runway huh??

how do you know?

weather "just above" minimums?

how do you know?

HEY, DONT YOU DO THE AVIATION REPORTING FOR CNN?????

Leave the flying to the professionals.

maybe...

the plane went halfway down the runway with the FO flying at mins, because that C0-PILOT can't FLAT BENCH as much as the Captain. I have heard of that happening before...especially on windy days at MSP.

Our Captains can FLAT BENCH lots of weight. We make the the touchdown zone every time. Even when it's windy AND at MINS. I think the only time that isn't true though, is when we are using Hymen Captains.

Last edited:
Chas,

Do you think that your own flying skills can stand up to the scrutiny that you are so willing to dish out?

For the most part everyone does their upmost to do the best job that they can do. Seems to be a characteristic of the community.

Sometimes things just don't work out as well as you anticipate or try to accomplish.

Oh, have you ever landed long on a near minimums approach?

If you are pursuing this as a career you will hope that people are tolerant , patient and forgiving of your indiscretions or departures from your usually perfect performance.

Take Care, Good Luck & Fly Safe!

Did you ever think that Chas is talking as a passenger and not a pilot? It seems to me that having 3 agents for 200 people is pretty poor. Having to watch the same movie twice is just as poor.

United is in the customer service industry, when that customer service fails then so goes the airline. I am sure that when you all scare a customer you get their pilot credentials then tell them to shut up they don't know what they are talking about.

Settle down.

earlthesquirrel said:
Did you ever think that Chas is talking as a passenger and not a pilot? It seems to me that having 3 agents for 200 people is pretty poor. Having to watch the same movie twice is just as poor.

United is in the customer service industry, when that customer service fails then so goes the airline. I am sure that when you all scare a customer you get their pilot credentials then tell them to shut up they don't know what they are talking about.

Settle down.

I think they are questioning his assesment of the F/O's flying skills, not the act that the CS may have sucked.

--03M

Latest resources

Back