Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Express returns to DEN and evacs on rwy...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An Expressjet Embraer ERJ-145 on behalf of United, registration N15973 performing flight EV-5912/UA-5912 from Peoria,IL to Denver,CO (USA) with 22 people on board, was cleared to land on runway 34R. Tower controller was issuing instructions to other aircraft when he interrupted in surprise and exclaimed “he hit the lights” followed by “runway 34R is closed” instructing the next arriving aircraft to cancel approach clearance, maintain 9000 feet and continue on the localizer, all airport frequencies began to report an ongoing emergency on the airport, traffic on runway 34L and departures on runway 25 were also temporarily halted. The Embraer rolled out and stopped on the runway remaining there disabled, tower advised emergency services were deploying. The crew of another aircraft advised they were observing the landing and they had the impression the Embraer had hit the approach lights then touched down really hard but when they taxied closer to have a look onto the aircraft it didn’t appear they would have struck the lights but they aren’t sure, tower commented in response they’ll have the approach and runway lights inspected. The Embraer was evacuated due to smoke on board.

The airport reported the crew reported smoke in the cockpit, the aircraft was evacuated. One passenger was taken to a hospital, the extent of injuries was not known. The aircraft remained disabled on the runway, the runway was closed for 2.5 hours.

The airline reported the aircraft was evacuated onto the runway because of smoke on the aircraft.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cev2dl

the two stories kind of conflict. Was the smoke in the cockpit in-flight or did smoke in the cabin occur due to the hard landing, hitting lights etc?

the two stories kind of conflict. Was the smoke in the cockpit in-flight or did smoke in the cabin occur due to the hard landing, hitting lights etc?

well it is just a regional.....if you make it the airport you're doing pretty good for the day.

I think there has been a lot of confusion about the "smoke in the cockpit". I believe it was post-crash according to some other reports to the contrary.

The smoke occurred on final. Cockpit quickly filled with smoke and crew couldnt see, hence the bad landing.

I think the pilot f-ed it up by not using his complete call sign. Using a partial call sign on a routine basis is a bad habit because in situations like this, saying jetlink or acey prior to the flight number will not come naturally. I hear it all the time even when two different airlines are on the same frequencies with similar call signs during read-backs.

With the background noise in the tower cab and old equipment it is very possible that the tape caught the 59 in 5912 but only the 12 was heard by the controller. Using the proper callsign of Jetlink or Acey 5912, would probably have solved the issue and quelled the controllers suspicions that it was a "prank" call.

Last edited:
I think the pilot f-ed it up by not using his complete call sign. Using a partial call sign on a routine basis is a bad habit because in situations like this, saying jetlink or acey prior to the flight number will not come naturally. I hear it all the time even when two different airlines are on the same frequencies with similar call signs during read-backs.

With the background noise in the tower cab and old equipment it is very possible that the tape caught the 59 in 5912 but only the 12 was heard by the controller. Using the proper callsign of Jetlink or Acey 5912, would probably have solved the issue and quelled the controllers suspicions that it was a "prank" call.
I'm sure you're right. I can see how "5912" could be heard as "United 12.

If those guys did smack the runway lights because the couldn't see it's time ALPA and the rest of the alphabet organizations start getting behind mandatory EVAS.

Latest resources

Back