Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Express returns to DEN and evacs on rwy...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They didnt hit the lights. The NTSB isnt even getting involved they said cos smoke was from an engine seal leak not fire. Captain said they lost the runway as they past over the threshold cos of the smoke and landed hard. No damage to the aircraft. That other aircraft was erroneous in his radio transmission of the lights being hit.

We all know they don't like the Acey call sign, but it should come naturally. But what do I know. The BA038 777 captain did something similar-- used a call sign for his next flight. The controller in that case, saw what was happening and reacted well.

Really? Please...

This crew did a fantastic job. I think until you are in a cockpit unable to see the instruments or the hand in front of your face, it's hard to say how you would react. I don't know if I would say the call sign if I was that amped up.

This crew did a fantastic job. I think until you are in a cockpit unable to see the instruments or the hand in front of your face, it's hard to say how you would react. I don't know if I would say the call sign if I was that amped up.

Don't be so dramatic....

We all know they don't like the Acey call sign, but it should come naturally. But what do I know. The BA038 777 captain did something similar-- used a call sign for his next flight. The controller in that case, saw what was happening and reacted well.

Agree. The controller was sharp in the BA situation. However, the Capt of BA38, when he made the call, stated "speedbird xxx" which immediately clued the controller in that there was an issue. The controller knew he had a BA on short final and could correlate that that was the emergency aircraft. Why do guys in the US not use the full call sign? Do guys think that it sounds cool to just say the numbers or is it just pure laziness?

In this situation, the FO blirts out 5912 which sounded like United 12. Had he said ACEY 5912, I think the outcome with the response to the incident would have been much better.

I am glad everyone got out of this safely and it sounds like the crew did a great job.....I just don't think that the controller should be raked over the coals because of someone's slack radio technique.

Last edited:
Agree. The controller was sharp in the BA situation. However, the Capt of BA38, when he made the call, stated "speedbird xxx" which immediately clued the controller in that there was an issue. The controller knew he had a BA on short final and could correlate that that was the emergency aircraft. Why do guys in the US not use the full call sign? Do guys think that it sounds cool to just say the numbers or is it just pure laziness?

In this situation, the FO blirts out 5912 which sounded like United 12. Had he said ACEY 5912, I think the outcome with the response to the incident would have been much better.

I am glad everyone got out of this safely and it sounds like the crew did a great job.....I just don't think that the controller should be raked over the coals because of someone's slack radio technique.

I don't think the controller should be raked over the coals, but neither should the crew. They had their hands full.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back