affect a Pilot's recalJ right~ or plac~mcnt on the Integrated Seniority List

(which
shall be based upon his seniority position al the Pilar's oliginating

Airline).​
A P110t accepting an offer under this provision will be sUbjecl to the

normal background and employment requirements of the employing Airline.​
TIle

Pllot will be an employee of the employing Airline, within the applicable ALPA
counell for that Airline. bur will not be required to serve or complete a probation
peliod. Such Pilot will be paid​
the greater of (1) the actual hourly pay rate he
was receiving on the date of his furlough, or (2) the hourly pay rate to which his
years of service at the employing Airline otherwise entitles-
(ii) No Pilot shall be entitled to more than two (2) offers of employment pursuant
to
this Section 7-8. Jf a Pilot declines the first offer, the employing Airline will

not​
contact him for a second offer until he provides at least thirty (30) days notice
to the employing Airline in wliting of his desire to re-enter the hiring process. At
that time he
wilJ be eligible for the next available offer in seniority order.

(iii)​
Pilots employed pursuant to thilS Section 7-8 will exercise scniori[y for all

purposes at the employing Airline in the
seniority order of their orlgina~g

Airline but junior to all Pilots who were on the seniority list of the employing
Airline prior to the Merger Agreement Date. Upon implementation of the lSL
Pilots will exercise seniority pursuant to thelf position on the lSL. All Pilots hired
by​
the employing Airline after the Merger Agreement Date who are not Pilots
employed pursuant to this Section 7-8 will exercise their seniority for all purposes
junior to all Pilots who were on either seniority list prior to the Merger Agreement

Date.​
(iv) Notwithstanding Section 27, Part2.A.2, B.2 or C.2 of the Continental​
eRA, all
Pilots on
either the United Pilots' or Continental Pilots' Seniority List as of the

Effective​
Date of this Agreement employed by Continental shall be eligible for
Medical. Dental and Vision Plan coverage
on the Pilot's first day of Active Service.

t 1

I wonder if we'll get any takers... they'd have to have pretty low self-esteem to want to work here.

200 positions on the new bid?? It's going to be very quiet in the whore-houses in San Luis, if all the piano players decide to leave and go back to flying...

You're right about that. A low self esteem is a REQUIRMENT.

When you allow mgmt to make you feel like your not worth it, they have won. When you allow mgmt to dictate to you how you perceive yourself, they have won. You you allow mgmt to keep you from holding your head high above the ******************** level, they have won. When you allow mgmt to force you see the crap they offer as the only alternative, they have won. When you allow mgmt to conquer and divide, they have won. When you join all others in allowing you to be out down, you will never win.

Come on, we are better than that.

I wonder if we'll get any takers... they'd have to have pretty low self-esteem to want to work here.

200 positions on the new bid?? It's going to be very quiet in the whore-houses in San Luis, if all the piano players decide to leave and go back to flying...

When youve been shown the street twice and cannot find a decent job to take care of the family because of the economy, you will take it! If it is a guaranteed paycheck and benies, I will gladly take it for my family, not me or any one else, having a paycheck right now and taking care of the family out weighs QOL and many other things. When you don't get a regular paycheck, you have no QOL!

Ex737drvr is right. If you have a self esteem problem then Jeff has you right where he wants you. Airline pilots [all of us] aren't being paid what we desreve right now. So use that as motivation to change things. That time is now. This is not just a contract. This is time to call the loan. The money we are demanding is not something we're asking for, it's accounts recievable. Services have been rendered and the bill is overdue to be paid. It's going to be time to add a late penalty PDQ....

I think there will be takers, no doubt. But I don't believe the ones that do accept the job will not have any clue what they're getting themselves into. The informed pilots know how crappy a life it is at CAL to be on reserve. Those pilots will stay away. But the uninformed (of which I'm sure there are quite a few) will jump in with blinders on. Unfortunately for them, they are in for a world of hurt. I wouldn't wish our grotesque reserve system on my worst enemy (well, ok, maybe on my worst). It sucks balls. Rolled days off, no rights, no work rules, fatigue calls that end up in lost pay, inability to afford housing in the bases that offer reserve, tired-hungary-layovers in crappy domestic hotels, the list goes on. IMO, these pilots will be on reserve for a least a year after completing training, maybe longer. Junior line holders won't fare all that much better, flying mostly red-eye trips that are incredibly fatiguing, and built to FARs.

Our concessionary contract has almost no work rules. This will be a rude-awakening for any UAL pilots, especially the senior ones of that furloughed group whom are offered the positions first.

I suppose if someone really needs a job they'll be happy to jump at the offer. However, with plenty of global contracts out there in Asia paying tax-free dollars much higher than a CAL Captain would make, why would a pilot want to "return" to the UAL system as the most junior pilot on CAL property without any benefit of seniority to the merger SLI process (per the TPA), etc? There is plenty of money to be made elsewhere if funds are the motivating factor. Most of my buddies in Asia and the M.E. are taking home well over $16,000/ mo working for various carriers. Good luck trying to make half that in gross in the US. Not to mention the reduced days off a jr pilot ends up getting if he or she is commuting to reserve. Most EWR reserve assignments begin with a 0400 call window. Reserve pilots have to commute in the day prior to get in position, on a bad weather week that could mean commuting in two days prior, or perhaps 2-3 additional legs to get to work. Suddenly that glorious "major-airline pilot gig" is only giving 6-8 days off per month, rather than the expected 12. Throw in training that month and you could be down to much less. I once did 8-9-9 and I wasn't even on reserve. That is, I had 8 days off one month, 9 the next and 9 the month after that... all due to various bs training assignments. That's 3 months in a row BELOW the contractual minimum of 12 days off per month, AS A LINEHOLDER, due to loopholes in the contract that favor the management. We train on our days off at CAL. But you get a whopping 2 hrs 24 min for those training periods so I guess I shouldn't be complaining right? 2:24 for 10 hrs in the sim building playing "you-bet-your-job". Oh, and they expect you to study in your off time too.

Last edited:
I say welcome. It'll just fuel this melting pot of pissed off pilots and help us anyway. But I wouldn't wish reserve at CAL on anyone. It's horrible.

Latest resources

Back