united buy indy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xwind

delta adding to song, ted doing well, if and when united gets on track and assuming air indy is doing fine could you think united and indy merge or buy out in the future, how ironic

No, well, maybe, I, can't, see, well, wait, a, run-on, sentence, so, I, can't, figure, out, what, you, are, trying, to, say.

I think the answer is no.

xwind said:
delta adding to song, ted doing well, if and when united gets on track and assuming air indy is doing fine could you think united and indy merge or buy out in the future, how ironic
Doubt it. They HATE each other...

Where do people come up with this sh!t?? Were you sitting on the sh!tter when all of a sudden...

xwind said:
In a word, no.

They tried already, using JO as a surrogate. It is still under DOJ review pending anti-trust charges against JO and United.

On Your Six said:
Doubt it. They HATE each other...
No we don't (or at least Indy people don't hate United people)!

We had a 14 year relationship. ACA's customer was United. We contracted our services at an agreed price worked out by management. We happily carried a ton of United customers and employees all over the East Coast.

United was very good to us and allowed nearly 4,000 people (not just pilots) to have a job by contracting services with us.

But in this last dance, United, spurred on by consultants from a management think tank, asked us to negotiate a new price for our services. The price was too low and we opted out. There was no animosity - just business. ACA could not accept the new price and we balked - it was better to take a risk of becoming our own "brand" than to be forced down our own slow path to bankruptcy. (i.e. the price of the new service to United would generate less money in the face of rising costs - that's how businesses get in trouble.)

Indy (or flyi) was an idea that had been lurking in our halls for years. The United action just gave it a push.

Any United or United Express pilot that needs a ride to work still has the welcome mat waiting for them. Just as many a United Pilot has given me a ride home. No hate.

Just the same, though, I doubt we will ever get back together. United gave our management the push and now there's a shiny new Airbus parked at Dulles. The first of 25 coming on the property. Tell you the truth, at this point I love United and what they did - who ever thought that little ACA would have A-319's and A-320's coming on line. Sweet!

Now as to hate or at least "in your face" attitude - let's talk about those Bain Management Consulting folks that United hired. Quite a model they gave United - just one little problem - what happens if the price you offer your contracting airlines is so low that they go out and create a competing brand. Whoops!!! Now, you haven't saved money - you are spending money in what WAS a secure market to fight off this new competitor. I bet United has already spent more fighting Indy at Dulles (oh, and paying Bain Consulting) than if they would have just paid us to stay as U.E. If Mesa creates it own brand (as O has stated), that will make the mistake compound again. You just have to love consultants who take no responsibility for what they tell you to do.

Good post Tarp.

Again, there is no hate toward employees at UAL. UAL folks are welcome on our airplanes anytime, anywhere. Most of us dont forget that UAL helped all of us pay the bills at ACA for 15 years.

Now Bain is another story. What a novel idea, to put out a request for services that will be awarded to the lowest bidder. Plus use Mesa/JO as a means to squash them when they refuse your terms. That crook didnt even want to spend a dime to buy us, only swap paper (stock swap). Only Bain/UAL mgmt is finding out that that wasnt low enough. So what now, you ask? Bain II...a new race to the bottom. To their credit, what FLYi's mgmnt has said from the beginning of all this has come true--that to stick around with UAL may be more risky than going on our own. I cant imagine being forced into another round of Bain cuts. On a lighter note, anyone who hasnt seen "Office Space" should; it may make the Bain II experience more tolerable/laughable.

Needless to say, the original post starting this thread is comical. Again, no offense to UAL employees (to say theyve been through tough times would be an understatement), but UAL couldnt finance an outhouse right now. What would they possibly have to offer for FLYi this time, two sticks of chewing gum and some shoelaces?

Good luck to UAL, Uex, and esp FLYi (im a little partial to them).

Ps. We have 28 total airbus on order not 25 as tarp had mentioned. 1st one got here Thurs 09/09. Other than that, I agree to everything you said...:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back