United asks Boeing, Airbus to bid for 150 planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:smash:
i didnt even get a slight chubby when the announcement was made-- it doesnt mean crap until every furloughee is back and we've begun hiring new hires again and im making a decent wage with a decent QOL contract.

SKIPPY

+1. I'm sporting *ZERO* wood (well, at least over this announcement, anyway :) )

Might be best to let Airbus have this one. With Tilton at the helm Airbus will be stuck with the liability later.

At the rate United is growing, it might not be much more than a glorified travel agency by the time any of those jets are rolling of the line..

I sure hope they can do something in this contract to end the RJ disease.

1) Doesn't UAL still have a bunch of options on A32X?
2) If their looking for 757 domestic replacements, why not use those?

Can't speak to the Airbi's ability to go the likes of LAX-OGG or other longer routes.

1) Doesn't UAL still have a bunch of options on A32X?
2) If their looking for 757 domestic replacements, why not use those?

Can't speak to the Airbi's ability to go the likes of LAX-OGG or other longer routes.

1) yes. And if we don't take delivery, we lose a substantial deposit. I'm sure that will be "discussed" with Airbus.

2) Our executives have stated that they don't want a warmed over A320 or 737 model that only provides single digit improvements in efficiency over what is available. They want double digit efficiency improvements, so they're probably looking at 787, A350, next gen A320, next gen 737, and perhaps some of the newer 777's as we have a bunch of the original A models and those things barely make it from Europe to Chicago with a full load of people. I imagine we leave freight behind often with those things.

3) They'll get the money.

4) It would be nice if these were growth aircraft and not replacement aircraft, but somehow I doubt it. It will be years before we see any of these aircraft. The bauxite for these things isn't even mined yet :)

I absolutely hate to say this, but maybe our boys were "smart" in announcing this order when they did, considering the economy and the leverage they can probably exert. Maybe blind squirrels really do find nuts once in a while.

What kind of idiots would lend this hopeless wreck of a company money for ANYTHING?

This looks like a pretty big carrot during contract negotiations. If you mean pilots would just sign off on this crappy contract proposal, look at all these shiny new airplanes you will get.

I'm still waiting for ATA's 717s to show up!

Don't count on a crappy contract....This is not ATA either.

Latest resources

Back