Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines to start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic coach seats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What does a minimum stay have to do with reasonable priced product? Either you charge enought to cover expenses and put a bit in the bank or you don't. If you don't, you don't survive,its that easy.

Please tell me why the cost is lower if I stay a saturday night or not?

A prudent passenger will not travel on United if this is the case. There are too many other options out there.

Partner, we have no say on pricing. If your so down on this job, go find something you can be happy with, really.

And herein lies the problem. People like you that are just thrilled with how things are. Your attitude is that we should just be happy as a clam to fly a jet for a living. You are just a quitter I guess. Just up and leave something if you don't like it instead of trying to make it better. My guess is that you fall into 1 of 2 categories. You are not even a pilot for a 121 carrier, or you are management of some sort. You reek it from here!

As far as having no say on pricing, well would you feel the same way if we all just stopped voting in these ridiculous contracts and ultimately went through all the absurd hurdles we must go through to attempt self-help. Ultimately we are in control, but only if we act together, which most pilots won't due to greed!

Who doesn't want to spend less, as a consumer I would rather pay less than get screwed because there is no competition. Maybe the we can learn something about the crappy product airlines are trying to shove down the throat of consumers with crusty service and bitter employees. Defending it only makes you look out of touch.

HMM Lets See................

Denver is what, UAL's second largest hub?????
And what city is one of SWA's fastest growing cities on record?????
Yep, keep pissing me off with stupid surcharges instead of just charging a fair and equitable price for your service. (Which BTW, I feel is woefully underpriced at the present time)
Makes me want to go out and buy some UAL stock, NOT.

Now before you all get down on me..................
This post is directed at your inept management and their treatment of the employees. I feel your pain and feel sorry for the rank and file but I believe this is just another nail going in to the coffin.

Would you rather work for a company that continually loses money or be furloughed from a company that makes money because it raised it's fares and cut capacity by 35%?

Industry evolves. Those willing to accept that and adapt accordingly will be the happiest and most successful. Just ask anyone from the union of your local wood-spoked wheel manufacturer.

This industry has evolved, entirely for the worse from labors perspective as our earning power is about 30 percent what it was in 1978, while it has become much more lucrative for the ceo's and upper management as their earning power is about 400 percent greater than it was in 1978. I can accept evolution, I cannot and will not accept a profession in which we do more than we have in the past, being whittled to the bare bones.

And I'd rather be furloughed from a company that makes money through capacity reductions and fare increases. It will be better for those of us that are able to remain in the industry. To work for companies that actually make money. I can't believe you would actually pose that question. I presume you would rather maintain your job for a company that loses money? Yet another attitude that has destroyed this profession. I would love for a re-regulated industry that is half the size it is today. For the half that remain, it may turn into a career worth having again, instead of the status quo where it is constant year over year reduction in our earning power. United is a perfect example, their pilots merely want to get back some of what they had taken from them in bankruptcy and management says absolutely not, while they at the same time put together some executive, upper management bonus plan worth 100 some million! How long should we except this kind of industrial "evolution" as you put it?

Who doesn't want to spend less, as a consumer I would rather pay less than get screwed because there is no competition. Maybe the we can learn something about the crappy product airlines are trying to shove down the throat of consumers with crusty service and bitter employees. Defending it only makes you look out of touch.

If you want anyone to take you seriously when commenting on these matters, you should change your current position on your profile. Although I am glad you have it there because I can understand where your attitude comes from. I realize your real body and mind is in some massive underground bunker where they wisk you off when you show up for the southworst interview, and what they return with is a perfect clone who's mind has been altered to tow the company line as if their life depended on it. Basically airline managements take on the "super soldier" but instead is the "southworst soldier" in essence a workforce of company mouthpieces.

People, we haven't seen the worst of what management will take from us, not by a long shot. Because when southworst starts having trouble earning money when fuel approaches 200 and above, which it will, these "southworst soldiers" will be falling all over themselves to take concessions when management comes calling. I truly believe they will actually OFFER management concessions before management even comes calling. Because that is what it means to be a "southworst soldier".

Last edited:
I'll 'fess up - call me stupid.

Why do they care how long you stay? Can someone explain why this comes into the equation.

Why do they care how long you stay? Can someone explain why this comes into the equation.

You're asking people here? How in the he** are we supposed to know when airline management doesn't even know! They just do things for the sake of doing them, just so they can say "look, look at all we are doing to return to profits". Airline management reminds me of what some of Mike Tysons knockouts in the 80's look like. Where his opponents are stumbling and flailing at the air, completely unaware of where they are and what they are flailing at.

By requiring a stay for economy seats it means a business traveller is "incentivised" to purchase a business class seat in order to make it there and back in one day...!!! Won't affect the normal leisure traveller cause they are gonna do the overnight anyways but the business guy/gal will have to pay for the business seat instead of the "cheap" economy seat to get out and back quickly.

And herein lies the problem. People like you that are just thrilled with how things are. Your attitude is that we should just be happy as a clam to fly a jet for a living. You are just a quitter I guess. Just up and leave something if you don't like it instead of trying to make it better. My guess is that you fall into 1 of 2 categories. You are not even a pilot for a 121 carrier, or you are management of some sort. You reek it from here!

As far as having no say on pricing, well would you feel the same way if we all just stopped voting in these ridiculous contracts and ultimately went through all the absurd hurdles we must go through to attempt self-help. Ultimately we are in control, but only if we act together, which most pilots won't due to greed!

Allrighty then, so when you go buy a tank of gas for your car do you look for the cheapest station or just stop anywhere and buy? The last time you bought anything of value, did you do any type of research online or by calling around or did you just walk in and pick it up? Don't lie. It's called efficiency.

So your basic argument is you want to go back to how it was because your not making enough money? You want to deny your customers the same rights you have as a consumer? Happy with what YOU have? Hardly, look how far you've let yourselves slide. Nobody else did it to you, you did it to yourself. I can see how that would gripe you.

Reek of it? Sorry, I'm pretty content to be here, just a line guy, not a management guy. And yes, if it comes to it, SWAPA will propose the cuts to stay in business, while you fold.

Latest resources

Back