• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United 10/15 Class Assignments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Senior guy in the class is 0001 and junior guy is 9999 based on last four of your social security number.

There are very few affordable options for hotels. We had a few guys at the Doubletree and Radisson. There is an extended stay hotel on Quebec for 800/month but we had one person's car broken into there..so they packed up and left. We also had a handful of people staying with family / friends in the area.

There not paying for lodging. Isn't that great.

Andy,

The Fairfield that you are talking about is the one right by the Homestead in Aurora, where I am planning to stay... I take it the drive is reasonable to TK?...How is the area?
Thanks

The drive's reasonable; I225 north to I70 west. Probably 15-30 min depending on traffic. The area's lower middle class. Not a terrible area, but I wouldn't leave any valuables out in sight in my car.

Other "fees" in training

I hear UAL pays for the uniforms. As a military guy whose employer has "deep pockets," I'm not used to paying for anything. Could someone please shed some light on the following: headsets, pubs bags, overcoat, bus driver hat. Heck, I don't even know what to ask about.

Wisecracks are appreciated as long as there is some good poop in there as well.

What else to buy? second mortgage...etc..

There not paying for lodging. Isn't that great.

You can't go anyway, so don't worry about it. Your lack of knowledge regarding proper grammar ("There" instead of "They're") indicates that you obviously don't have an education.

Based on the above example, your application is hereby rescinded.

I hear UAL pays for the uniforms. As a military guy whose employer has "deep pockets," I'm not used to paying for anything. Could someone please shed some light on the following: headsets, pubs bags, overcoat, bus driver hat. Heck, I don't even know what to ask about.

Wisecracks are appreciated as long as there is some good poop in there as well.

What else to buy? second mortgage...etc..

Wisecracks up front:
How did copper wire get invented? Two pilots fighting over a penny.

What are four things that pilots never buy?
Pens, soap, shampoo, and of course newspapers.

A pilot's wife went to the grocery store with her son. They are going down the detergent aisle. The son stops and gets mom's attention. He says, "look it's mommy and daddy soaps. Can we get a couple for our orphan baby soaps?"

To answer questions:
Overcoat & bus driver hat - should be covered for free. What are you going to do with the hat - give it to your kid for Christmas as a frisbee? Now, that'd be a great way to save on Xmas gifts. I hope that you're not planning on wearing one of those things.

Pubs bags: Your expense. United will have exacting specs for a bag so don't bother buying one ahead of time. The UAL store is reasonably priced, so just have it payroll deducted. The same specs go for suitcases; I recommend that you get one of them, they only carry high quality suitcases.

Headsets - you pay for a molded earset. Get it done during training.

Dry cleaning - was covered by the old contract; should still be covered. Save receipts. Uniforms only; not the rest of your clothes. :)

You have to pay for your hotel during initial training (just about every major requires it). United pays for subsequent training.

Having flown for a second tier operation prior to United, I'd say that United is pretty good about paying for reasonable costs. At least under the old contract; I haven't flown under the concessionary contract, but I doubt that anything's changed.

HA!! I've finally found something Continental does better than another major airline in the first year. They do pay for lodging during training. Uniforms, not so much........And we wear hats..

Good luck and glad to see UAL back in the hiring game.

Latest resources

Back