• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unintended Consequences: New ATP Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then, just like the other union trades, you create a system where nepotism rules. Unless your dad blazed the trail first, you probably won't get in. Or maybe you could make a hefty "donation" to someone on the union selection committee. It would have nothing to do with merit, skill, brains etc. Is that what you would rather see?

No. I was thinking more like the AMA. I'll give you an example. In the state of Arizona, there are three universities and one of them has a school of medicine. There is only one dental school, that I can think of. Yet, there are probably over a hundred different avenues for professional pilot certification, via collegiate, FBO affiliated and/or freelance flight instructors.

In a state whose population is steadily increasing, we need more pilots? Arizona State, the larger of the three, and more centrally located has always lobbied for a school of medicine. The governing bodies that control the licensing and accreditation wont sign off on it. Can't imagine why? There's no space? No more books? The AMA has been very successful in limiting the number of these schools. They also have political clout, through their legal and lobbying efforts, and are able to limit competition.

Or how about the American bar association. They completely control and govern themselves. They also have a large political and governing influence. They have successfully created a billion dollar divorce industry, through legislative efforts in most states.

What if pilots could limit the instruction of all initial commercial certification to our own special little college? And we can't have to many of them, because we have to insure that instructional integrity is never compromised? Ya right. What if pilots were the faa, like the bar is to lawyers? How about them new rest rules, is that good to go? Why are we still negotiating contracts under the auspices of the RLA? Are we a railroad?

My point is, we play no effective role in any arena, legislative or licensing. So, we hope and pray that kit darby is right, and some day market forces beyond our control will rain down more jobs than pilots.

Last edited:
No. I was thinking more like the AMA. I'll give you an example. In the state of Arizona, there are three universities and one of them has a school of medicine. There is only one dental school, that I can think of. Yet, there are probably over a hundred different avenues for professional pilot certification, via collegiate, FBO affiliated and/or freelance flight instructors.

My point is, we play no effective role in any arena, legislative or licensing. So, we hope and pray that kit darby is right, and some day market forces beyond our control will rain down more jobs than pilots.
We could fix this right now, make it a minimum ACT of 30, SAT 1350 in order to have an ATP. Alternate qualification requirements would be a grauate of a top 100 Engineering schools with a BS in Engineering, Physics or math or a graduate of a Military Academy. That would cut the numbers down quite a bit.

We could fix this right now, make it a minimum ACT of 30, SAT 1350 in order to have an ATP. Alternate qualification requirements would be a grauate of a top 100 Engineering schools with a BS in Engineering, Physics or math or a graduate of a Military Academy. That would cut the numbers down quite a bit.

We have the extreme on the other end today. No limits. File a few documents with the faa, and your now a flight school. It would be nice if there were a more middle ground, to balance the equation. Just an observation on my part.

Latest resources

Back