• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unintended Consequences: New ATP Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He can get a waiver, or the rule will be changed, because 1000+ hours as 121 PIC is a better qualification than 1000+ hours as 121 SIC.

cliff
PVG

This is the heart of the problem. Unlike lawyers and medical doctors. Pilots have no control of their licensing. We are completely at the mercy of political forces that we do not control. This is why our unions are so weak and ineffective.

I've always thought the the main problem ALPA had was that unlike doctors and lawyers, they have no control over the creation and certification of their colleagues.

I've always thought the the main problem ALPA had was that unlike doctors and lawyers, they have no control over the creation and certification of their colleagues.

This is exactly it. Why can you find an fbo with a ready and eager flight instructor, a flight school, or aviation college almost anywhere in the U.S.? Yet you only find a small fraction of medical schools, in comparison. Is there a shortage of anatomy books? What do we need more of, pilots or doctors?

The AMA won't aid in propagating more of themselves. Keeping their numbers low. Helping to create a favorable market demand.

Any anger towards alpa for its ineffectiveness, or any pilot union is misplaced. Pilot unions are ultimately doomed from the get go.

In his case, he has around 285 hours of 121 SIC time prior to upgrade to Captain, and as mentioned before, 3000+ hours as 121 PIC. His airline shut down, and he has not returned to FAR 121 flying, but has a couple hundred hours as FAR 135 Jet PIC.
So in this case, the 121SIC and 135PIC do not add up to 1000 hours.

Following the rule, none of his 121 PIC time counts toward the 1000 hours, and is not grandfathered, as he will not be employed as as a FAR 121 PIC on July 31, 2013.
Although there are not that many people who upgraded so soon after getting into 121 flying, the drafters of this rule have not allowed for this case.

If he gets hired before August 1, 2013 he is grandfathered. Otherwise, he can go to the right seat like the rest of us. But it seems to me that he would qualify as director of operations or Cheif pilot of any start up, no?

We just got an AC from the Feds. Basically says after 7-31-14, you can only get an ATP for 121 ops at a 121 air carrier, and that you must have 30 hours of FAA approved ground school at a 121 air carrier and 10 hours of flight time in a level "C" or "D" sim with a GTOW greater than 40,000#'s in order to have permission to take the ATP written. It is a new AC and this is an initial reaction to what I read today
AC 61-138 - Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program

If you read the final rule, it says any 121, 135, 141, or 142 certificate holder can offer the course.

As for cape, it only applies to their operation that requires an ATP. Do all their operations require the pic to be an ATP?

Your link is broken but I found the AC on the FAA website here:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-138.pdf

I'm scratching my head over this, as well. Cursory reading, it does seem to say what you say it says. Doesn't really affect 121 operations who are teaching this stuff this way already anyway, but what if you need an ATP for 135 Scheduled (Cape Air), single pilot. You need to fly 6 hours in a 40,000 pound full-flight simulator and receive 30 hours of training on dutch roll and swept wing aerodynamics and crew resource management and turbine engine operation? There must be something I'm not seeing here...

It applies only to operations under part 121, ?135.243(a)(1), and ?91.1053(a)(2)(i). Does all of cape air's flight segments operated under any of those regulations?

Last edited:
As for cape, it only applies to their operation that requires an ATP. Do all their operations require the pic to be an ATP?

It applies only to operations under part 121, ?135.243(a)(1), and ?91.1053(a)(2)(i). Does all of cape air's flight segments operated under any of those regulations?

Almost all of Cape Air's 402 operations are under 135.243(a)(1), and require an ATP. The only exception is the mail run between Hyannis and Nantucket. This rule could add millions to their training costs.

This is exactly it. Why can you find an fbo with a ready and eager flight instructor, a flight school, or aviation college almost anywhere in the U.S.? Yet you only find a small fraction of medical schools, in comparison. Is there a shortage of anatomy books? What do we need more of, pilots or doctors?

It is because aviation is generally a hobby to all except the those who pursue it as a profession. Nobody goes through 8 years of medical school just for fun.

And as we all know, there are far too many professional pilots who are willing to take it in the shorts just to stay in the sky. I doubt there are as many Doctors who would do the same..

In the end, comparing us to Doctors is a kinda silly. We have a great deal of responsibility. But I would never compare that to a heart surgeon etc...

Almost all of Cape Air's 402 operations are under 135.243(a)(1), and require an ATP. The only exception is the mail run between Hyannis and Nantucket. This rule could add millions to their training costs.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that was for multi engine turbojet powered airplanes with more than 9 seats or something like that. Sucks for them!

Last edited:
It is because aviation is generally a hobby to all except the those who pursue it as a profession. Nobody goes through 8 years of medical school just for fun.

And as we all know, there are far too many professional pilots who are willing to take it in the shorts just to stay in the sky. I doubt there are as many Doctors who would do the same..

In the end, comparing us to Doctors is a kinda silly. We have a great deal of responsibility. But I would never compare that to a heart surgeon etc...

You're missing the point. There are too many professional pilots, because the licensing is relatively easy to obtain. Up until recently, they were allowed to occupy those entry-level positions, with minimal criteria. The FAA's intervention in this regard, is only a product of political pressure. Not because any pilot union demanded it.

What if pilot unions were able to influence licensing, and other professional pilot qualifications?

We would do what other professional unions try to do. Limit our numbers. Pilot unions are generally weak organizations, because we don't have a seat at the table that counts.

What if pilot unions were able to influence licensing, and other professional pilot qualifications?

We would do what other professional unions try to do. Limit our numbers. Pilot unions are generally weak organizations, because we don't have a seat at the table that counts.

Then, just like the other union trades, you create a system where nepotism rules. Unless your dad blazed the trail first, you probably won't get in. Or maybe you could make a hefty "donation" to someone on the union selection committee. It would have nothing to do with merit, skill, brains etc. Is that what you would rather see?

Latest resources

Back