• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Uniforms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think this has any bearing on pilot pay negotiations. I believe it is more supply of labor and demand for it. Come contract time, if their is high demand of pilot labor and a low supply of it the pilots will have leverage. How they dress doesn't matter too much as long as it is the uniform.

I agree with these points. However, the point I was trying to make was in reference to another's post about how he would dress more professionally if he got paid more. The bottom line is that - in my view - the public sees how you dress as a direct reflection of yourself first followed by the company a close second. Most would agree that normal passenger wouldn't know the difference between a United and American uniform anyway. It's all about presentation and if you don't take pride in it, I think that says a lot about who you are.

...professionalism is more than dressing nice.

Yes it is. But lets face it, the public in the terminals judge us by what they see. They can't see us be professional in our duties. It's the same thing as most passengers judging the quality of the pilot by the landing. You may have flown the best flight of your life, but if you slam it down in a crosswind they are going to think you aren't a good pilot. In the terminal it is the same, but it's how we look. If you want the public to see you as a professional, then look like one. If you want them to see you as a bus driver, then dress like Ralph Cramden, but be prepared for the consequences.

Your new uniform pieces are tax deductible. If I need a new uniform shirt, shoes, tie, etc, I purchase it right before the end of the year and expense it on my taxes. I'm only out that money for a minimal amount of time.

The issue here is that management doesnt see Regional pilots as professionals.

I think some guys do go too far in wearing baseball caps, tennis shoes, etc,. but I lean towards the side of - treat me like a professional, and I will act like one-

No different than our current contract situation. If you think going the extra mile to save fuel, leave on time, etc will help settle a contract you are sadly mistaken. Its the opposite... Make everyone happy, and they will go above and beyond to care.

It has nothing to do with management or your next contract. It comes down to STANDARDS. If you don't meet the standard in the sim, you get pulled off the line, and probably sent packing. Not everyone can afford new uniforms all the time, or professionally tailored jackets. God knows I can't. Wearing the uniform is part of the job. If you cannot meet or exceed the standard, you need to seek opportunity elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back