• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Uniforms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you that we are highly trained professionals and should look the part.

I also believe that we should be paid the part, so I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit...

If they wanted you to look like a legacy carrier pilot your uniform cost should be in direct porportion to legacy pay...why should a regional pilot go through the terminal with all the pax thinking "there goes another $100K/yr jerk" when you're getting 20 or 30???

WE are helping them perpetuate the lie that we are well compensated pros...

There is a story once from a while ago that Eagle pilots qualified for food stamps and some of them were getting them. It is said that AE forbade their pilots from getting food stamps because they didn't want the public to know how poorly the guys were paid.

I don't know if it's true or not.

But there is a lesson in the story...though perhaps it wouldn't be good for the image for pilots at regionals to look like homeless people it would get the message out of what is happening in this industry. For things to change a message must be sent out loud and clear to everyone...

Last edited:
bla bla. i now hate myself for reading this. obviously you are all huge geeks. do you really concern yourself with this. sucks to be all of you! p.s. i dont think there's another industry or profession that throughs the word "professional" around more than this one does. do you feel that inadequate?

I agree in principal with the original post. The other day I saw a guy with a backpack, a small goatee and tie undone walking through a very busy terminal. I was amazed to say the least.

Wether we're fairly compensated or not, the flying public still holds us to a higher standard. Most of them haven't the slightest clue. It's painfully obvious to me on my commutes to and from work. Besides, I still want and NEED for all the Gals to think that I make megabucks!

"Well folks, we would have been on time but I'm going into my 13th hour of duty and I needed to shave again during our 30 minute turn time. Sorry for the delay, but I must remain professional at all times. Have a great flight."

Actually saw a PSA male FA with pants down to his ass, the bottoms of which were hemmed perfectly so he could wear them as such, spiked hair, and a plastic spike through his eyebrow so his piercing wouldn't close. This was at the hotel in PWM. He was getting out of the van at the hotel at the time. I turned to him and told him that if he was on my crew, his pants would have been pulled to his ankles a long time ago, as well as him going home for the day until he wore more appropriate clothing. His captain looked at me and just rolled his eyes.

Sorry guys, I just have to vent here.

To all regional pilots: TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR APPEARANCE!!!!!

This isn't about hat or no hat, backpacks, iPods, or frosted hair.

This is about wearing your tie when walking around the terminal. This is about not walking around faded dockers. For god sakes do not wear a worn out red baseball cap around the terminal while weraing the rest of the full uniform (saw that last week - looked very professional from the neck down - looked like a hung-over frat guy from the neck up). Female pilots - please don't wear hot pants and walk around the terminal yelling into your cell phone about what a b---- someone else is.

Thank you for your time. Now back to our regularly scheduled flaming.

It ain't just us regional pukes!

I'll add on to your vent, how 'bout using an iron sometimes as well?

I dress very professinally. but when my stuff starts to wear out, i can almost guarantee you i am going to get the dockers or just wear ratty stuff. Mostly on principle. My company expects me to wear a specific brand and style that is very expensive. they pay me a crappy salary and on top of that expect me to pay for my own uniform. The first time around i had to shell out 10% of my take home pay for 6 MONTHS!!!:angryfire

Rant over

You wanted to be an airline pilot junior. You took the job. If you did not know what the pay scale was before you took the job, whose fault is that? If YOU don't want to live up to YOUR end of the bargain, look for another job. Otherwise, be a professional and suck it up.

Just my .02

ka

Do you really think the flying public takes the way you dress as a direct reflection of your morale? That is one of the most idiotic things I've heard recently.

Hey I just something that is more idiotic than that, a First Officer who calls himself Captain.

Latest resources

Back