• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unfamiliar at night list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoops. Sorry about that. I guess I'm ignorant to that fact since we don't fly in there at night. Didn't ASE close at sunset awhile back? I didn't know it changed because it didn't really apply to us.

P.S. I tried to edit my previous post but it wouldn't let me. When did that change?

Hey Av8orBoy....

I thought 07FA (aka Ocean Reef) is VFR/Daytime only. Is it true that you go in there at night?

I wouldn't go in there at night....and I have about 2 dozen day time trips under my belt.

Whoops. Sorry about that. I guess I'm ignorant to that fact since we don't fly in there at night. Didn't ASE close at sunset awhile back? I didn't know it changed because it didn't really apply to us.

P.S. I tried to edit my previous post but it wouldn't let me. When did that change?

I don't believe the airport ever closed at sunset, but the approaches are not authorized after sunset -- so vfr ops only.

If you want a good guideline you should use the NetJets list of no night ops airports. Even if you are familar, you still might not want to go there at night.

It does??????
Might want to re-check that info. There are literally dozens of operators who routinely fly into KASE at night, including 91 and 135 ops.
My latest info has the airport open until 2300LT for arrivals and 2230LT for departures.

rice, as usual, is correct...i believe there is a fairly large operator based at ASE with AX in their tail numbers. I forget their name...I wanna say Aspen Extreme, but that reminds of the cheesy skiing movie.

MURF

Hey Av8orBoy....

I thought 07FA (aka Ocean Reef) is VFR/Daytime only. Is it true that you go in there at night?

I wouldn't go in there at night....and I have about 2 dozen day time trips under my belt.

Whats the problem with 4500' w/lights?

Last edited:
In the ole' days we took Lear 24/35's in and out (before the 24 ban) during daytime ops.

1) I thought it was a night curfew (by owners of the little community).
2) I thought it was tight back then (width wise).
3) VFR only
4) Special procedures for takeoff (noise abaitment). I don't like pulling lots of power off at a high deck angle at night over water looking for traffic.
5) I had my hand on the drag chute the whole time.
6) I don't remember it at 4500'.
7) Lights aren't good enough. I want a PAPPPPPPPPPIe too.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn't go in and out at night.

Summary:
I thought that the owners wouldn't allow it. And, the more I age and experience in this profession the more I know now I wouldn't put my life on the line going in at night (having done it during the day...of course it depends on the equipment flown too).

Latest resources

Back