Unemployment benefits and WIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stall022

I figured I would try to share some information that I have learned due to my impending furlough.

benefits now last for 13 weeks in most states, extendable to 26 weeks and even longer in some cases

on page 3-10 of the link below you can find the Min and Max that you will get weekly for each state.
http://www.ows.doleta.gov/unemploy/uilawcompar/2008/monetary.pdf

If you don't know which state to file a claim in, just call your current state. they will enter your ssn and tell you which companies you worked for and which state they paid into (if you happen to work for AirTran it will be GA) You can then pick which state to file a claim in.

You can also file a claim in a completely different state and they will do the paper work to get the money from your work state

WIA Money and the 737 type or Free Retraining money

http://www.careeronestop.org/WiaProviderSearch.asp

click on your state and search.

WIA money is sent out every quarterish? Each county/state has it until they use it. Some states use it all in a day, other states have money left over. It's all first come first serve.

Now. According to Kit darby(I went to a free seminar that he talked at and this question was asked) even if you don't live in a state with left over money you can apply for money from a different state, i.e. you live in Florida and the money is gone you can still apply to say New York if they have money left.

Some states are wise to the 737 type so they will shoot you down.

Last edited:
This can be highly dependent upon who your "case worker" is. I am trying for it right now. In Michigan, it appears more are turned down than are approved. But if your unemployed, like me, and have nothing better to do, go for it!

Last edited:
I'm meeting with a case worker today. I don't know about success rates, but IL will give up to $6000. I'll have a better idea in a few hours.

thanks for the info stall022. Whats the best type to shoot for? Got a 737,757,767, but looking for something corporate perhaps.

My case worker seemed upbeat about it. In IL they have to be an approved program. They work with Simuflite, but not Flight Safety. So I'm trying to go through CE-500 upgrade. I have no idea the approval rate though...so we'll see.

Does the WIA money have to be used for aviation training? As cyclical as this industry is, it would be nice to get some training in another field all together.

Does the WIA money have to be used for aviation training? As cyclical as this industry is, it would be nice to get some training in another field all together.

WIA money can be used to retrain in any career or college degree of your choice.

http://careeronestop.org/Default.aspx

in the upper right corner there are 3 drop down windows, pick your state. on the state websites there should be an address to your local workforce or "jobs" office. they will be able to let you know which programs are out there for you.

Kentucky will pay $4,000 for training and $600 for books and materials.

However, I was denied WIA funds because (1) Aviation is not an in-demand occupation and (2) I am considered to already have a marketable skill by virtue of having a Bachelor's degree, regardless of degree field.

Basically, I am excluded from any WIA funding because I have worked to make something of myself. I can't even get funding from the state to go into a different career field that is in-demand.

Any suggestions?

Latest resources

Back