Und

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

John Hewlett

I am currently looking into going to school at the University of North Dakota. I hear that they are now the number 1 Aerospace school in the U.S.. However that just what I heard and I am sure thats debatable withe the Riddle folks.

Has anyone gone to UND? If so can you give me some idea what you liked, didn't like, lifestyle, etc?

Appreciate it,
J.

Food for thought, think about getting a degree that is non-aviation related like engineering, business, architecture so you always have a back up and may do some work when not flying for an airline bringing in extra income. I got an aviation degree from one of the top aeronautical schools in the US, but if I were to do it over I would get a degree in something else while earning all my certificates and ratings. It will save you a ton of money and you will be more versatile than being a complete pilot nerd like me who doesn't know anything else other than the lift equation. You will also have a lot more fun going to a real university and your womanizing skills will flourish.

Good Luck

I haven't been to UND for almost ten years, but I'm sure the degree that I earned there opened some doors for me.

UND has excellent facilities and faculty. What you do with them is up to you. Anyone can go to a great school and not apply themselves and end up with a second rate education while someone who really works hard can learn a lot at virtually any school.

That being said, if you really work hard at UND, you can end up with an education that is second to none. It is not cheap, and the North Dakota winters will prove one's love of aviation, but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing.

Well, I might change one thing. I might double major like a friend of mine did. That way, with some extra work I could've had a second degree to fall back on. It'd come in handy right now.

Good luck!

About a year ago last June, I checked into the UND program to have a new job as an instructor. Everyone I spoke with seemed knowlegable and friendly, and my experience would have qualified me for a leadership position. Since this was pre September 11, some friends thought that I was about to become marketable with my low time, and talked me out of this move which would have taken me from Pennsylvania to the land of preheated engines.

I understand that many NASA folks are UND grads of the Odegard School. If you are going to pin all of your hopes on an aviation degree from a top rate school like UND, I'd have a first class medical and uncorrected 20/20 vision. Otherwise, I'd get some other bachelor degree outside of flying to enable you to have a good life if all goes bad in your career.

If you are 100% committed and healthy, then UND is certainly a great choice.

Go for it! Downside..cold winters. Upside...everything else. If you like outdoor stuff, you´ll have plenty to do. If you want to learn to fly in all types of weather, it is the place to go. New equipment (planes and FTDs). Everything is available, including tailwheel, aerobatic, seaplane, etc. The coops/internships are numerous, and there are tons of scholarships available during the year.
If you want to fly in clear blue skies everyday, then you should probably head south.
Check it out! www.aero.und.edu

Good Luck!

It worked for me

UND is an excellent school, and you do not have to major in flying, they have a well established business school with a focus in aviation administration. A strong international studies program.

I had studied abroad in Europe so I did the double.. Aviation administration and international studies. Of course you can still fly.

UND also has many aviation oriented programs and groups, as well as a flight team that is excellent. There are many internships and ways to network. Last but not least UND has a solid reputation. I have seen that in my interviews, my peers and forerunners have represented the school well.

Good Luck.

P.S. Go to East Grand Forks and get a grinder..Yummmmm

AAflyer

How about breakfast at the Big Sioux truck stop after a night of boozing at the "Antique"..

Latest resources

Back