• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Und

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know that I was mentioning uncorrected 20/20 due to NASA/ military requirements and the likelihood of maintaining acceptable vision levels.

While not a deal breaker for an aviation job, I submit that an aviation degree might not be the best choice unless you are air force or astronaut material. I think that is the gist of what both Bobby and I are saying. Many people will have no trouble with their vision, but the colorful metaphor you mentioned above could apply if your only degree is aeronautics.

I think it would be a shame to have a degree that only qualifies you to fly, then be denied that job for a physical reason.

That's just being prudent with your future.

I have a BS from riddle in Aeronautical Science, and a Masters in Aviation Safety/Accident Investigation so I will have plenty of work outside of flying.

Again, my first post was a joke.

Your point is taken.

That's a teriffic education.

Most of the folks I have asked about accident investigation change the subject, or tell me that most people don't have the stomach for it. They're probably right.

Security, human factors, or accident investigation are on my list of possible education paths.

Good luck.

Thanks

I'm looking into a Ph.D. program in cognitive psychology. I'm very interested in Human Factors.

Lasik

Well I am committed, and motivated. However my eye sight without my contacts is not real great! Infact its not good. However, I have eye exams every 6th months to keep it tweeked. I just had one last week and my optomitrist said that I should be able to have lasik next your or the year after when I am 21. My eyes have been relatively stable for sometime now.

What do you all think about lasik? Its FAA approved!

John

PS - I doubt space is in my future.

I know of a UPS pilot who has had great success with LASIK.

In addtion, I have been warned against it for myself by my AME, who says that not everyone has such a wonderful experience with the surgery.

In ten or twenty years, most people should be able to purchase nearly perfect vision the way we purchase cosmetic dentistry.

I'm not saying that you can't have a career in aviation, but I would wholeheartedly recommend a college major that you can use without having an FAA medical. The present is fine; it's the future you have to plan for.

Good luck with your plans, and your choices.

Vision correction surgery

The airlines have eased their opposition greatly to Lasik and other forms of vision correction surgery. As with all surgery, vision correction surgery carries risks. Take a look at these two websites to see what I mean:

http://www.cornealaw.com/complications.htm

http://64.224.84.229/vcsurg

Something else to consider is that if you have the surgery as a young person, you may still need glasses as you get older or need the operation (and assume its risks) again.

Frankly, although I've been using some form of vision correction since I've been in the third grade and I'm not at all annoyed by it, I'd love not to need it. But, the downside scares me to death. Even my optometrist told me at my last eye exam that eye operations are a work in progress - and she has had the procedure!

Just think about it carefully before you let some doctor take his scapel or laser to your corneas. Good luck with your decision.

Latest resources

Back