Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UND owned Citation has double engine failure, none hurt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Anyone know anything more about this story? Sounds like a fuel quality or quantity issue.

FORT YUKON

Private jet crashes in remote area; all four people aboard leave unhurt
A twin-engine private jet dropped 9,000 feet and crash-landed on its belly on a remote area west of Fort Yukon with four people on board Friday afternoon, the Rescue Coordination Center said. No one was injured.
Master Sgt. Sal Provenzano with the RCC called the landing "pretty amazing."
The names of the four aboard were not immediately available.
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, the Cessna Citation 550 is registered to the University of North Dakota.
Citations are sophisticated and expensive jets more typically used for corporate travel than Alaska Bush flying, Provenzano said.
The people on the jet were working for Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., looking for areas to test de-icing equipment for a new helicopter, he said. No one from the Connecticut-based company immediately returned phone calls Friday night.
The company's Web site describes Sikorsky as "a world leader in helicopter design, manufacturing and service."
The flight originated out of Fairbanks and was headed to the area around Fort Yukon, Provenzano said. Around 2 p.m., north of the village of Beaver, the plane "experienced a dual-engine flameout," he said. The pilot tried to restart the engines, but to no avail.
"This was an emergency crash, not an emergency landing," Provenzano said. He said the plane remained relatively intact despite the impact. "It was pretty phenomenal the guy was able to put it down the way he did."
The plane's emergency signal went off and notified rescuers of its location.
Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. of Hartford, Conn., which provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries, the company's Web site says.

-- Anchorage Daily News

There's normally only one reason for a dual engine failure...

These are the only reasons I can come up with, what else can kill two turbofans?

Fuel exhaustion
Fuel contamination
Dual compressor stall (usually maneuvering?)
Pulling the throttles over the stops
Pressing both firewall shutoff switches
Airborne contaminants (volcanic ash, smoke)
Birds! i forgot birds. Thanks av.

Last edited:
There's normally only one reason for a dual engine failure...

You mean one reason aside from bird ingestion, heavy smoke ingestion, volcanic ash ingestion, pilot error, T-handles...etc?

avbug said:
You mean one reason aside from bird ingestion, heavy smoke ingestion, volcanic ash ingestion, pilot error, T-handles...etc?

Well true, but I'm assuming they were not making a drop over a fire, not flying through a volcanic ash cloud, not encountering a large flock of birds at cruise altitude, and the pilots were not pulling both fire handles to see what would happen.

Based on the locale and the apparent makeup of the crew, I'll reaffirm that it's likely fuel exhaustion was the cause for this. As it is the cause for nearly all instances of dual engine failure.

Well true, but I'm assuming

Assumption and speculation...the true halmark of professionalism.

The only "facts" in evidence are statements from sergeant so and so, as reported by so and so...and from that one makes any kind of assumption at all?

Every time a statement about aviation appears in the popular media, the lemmings on this site cry and howl at the moon about how nobody understands aviation, and how could anybody commit the crime of speculation about the world in which we live.

Unless of course folks here want to do it. Then it's okay.

Give it a rest, avbug. You know what I meant!

Hopefully you were able to detect just a hint of sarcasm...

Lot of time in a 550 here, Barring any volcanic ash or birds (unlikely on the ash, birds possible but not mentioned so probably not) I would throw a $100 bill down and bet either fuel contamination, or they ran it dry.

Latest resources

Back