Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UND owned Citation has double engine failure, none hurt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
English said:
UND jet makes emergency landing

GRAND FORKS, N.D.(AP) - A University of North Dakota research jet with four
people on board made a successful emergency landing after the engines quit,
the university said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating Friday's incident
near Fairbanks, Alaska, UND said.

The Citation II research jet from the university's Atmospheric Science
Department was lost from radar contact during a study of icing conditions,
according to a release from UND.

When the department's chief research pilot, Paul Le Hardy, was unable to
restart the engines, he maneuvered the jet into a successful emergency
landing about 70 miles north of Fairbanks.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson said two other occupants are researchers with
UND. The fourth person on board is a researcher with Sikorsky, a company
that designs helicopters.

"Given the weather conditions and the formidable terrain in Alaska, the safe
landing of the aircraft without injury to the crew was a remarkable display
of airmanship on the part of the pilot," said Dr. Bruce Smith, Dean of UND's
John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences.

Is it me or do these "remarkable displays of airmanship" usually follow something remarkably stupid that the airman did...

:(

English said:
Do I hear $200? ;)

Hmmmm....seems like I may not have accounted for stupidity....I.E. intentionally keeping an airplane in heavy ice for extended periods of time! (I guess in scientific circles change "stupidity" to "test envelope")

Hmm lets see here.......betting 100 bucks handbook....page 23...section 4d...yes here it is..."if said person or persons intentionally flies said aircraft outside of the approved and certified limits and intentionally proceeds into known or hazardous conditions.....blah blah blah......then Kerosenesnorter is not liable for any internet betting as per section 34a subsection e line 5"

There you have it...I'm off the hook!!!:pimp:

Gulfstream 200 said:
Is it me or do these "remarkable displays of airmanship" usually follow something remarkably stupid that the airman did...

They were doing research. I am glad that everyone is ok because I know the pilot pretty well.

Last edited:
There was a citation that landed on I-40 in AZ in 2002. I think it was a fuel issue too, cant remember if they ran it dry

I think I saw this plane in Kingsman, AZ. I was walking out to our plane for my multi checkride and the examiner pointed out a citation sitting there with the nose gear missing, radome all scrapped up and the tail section all torn up. Said the guy (single pilot) departed the Phoenix area for Vegas and ran out of fuel 20 mins later. Set up for landing on the highway and waited to clear a semi before dropping the gear, only the gear didn't make it all the way down before he landed. The crappy part is the state patrol was in such a hurry to get it off the road, they tied a chain to the tail and started dragging it off (the damage from that looked just as bad as the nose). Or so he said.

Hand Commander said:
The crappy part is the state patrol was in such a hurry to get it off the road, they tied a chain to the tail and started dragging it off (the damage from that looked just as bad as the nose). Or so he said.
Yea, I suppose the state patrol should have waited until engineers from cessna came out to supervise the removal of the wings and the loading of the airframe onto a flat bed truck, before they let motor vehicle traffic flow on that highway again.

Gulfstream 200 said:

Isn't there an old saying in aviation...

A superior pilot is one who's superior judgment makes it unnecessary to demonstrate his superior skills.

I seem to remember one like that.

A friend of mine was flying a C-550 and lost an engine. The stall strip out on one of the boots somehow found its way into the engine inlet. It's amazing was a chunk of rubber can do to an engine. I'm one of those guys who will wait until the report comes out, but logic tell me that it's probably one of two scenarios - fuel mismanagement or inlet heat mismanagement. Neither scenario bodes well for the crew.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back