• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Uncontrolled airport dept question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's been a while since I've seen a technical question on FI. Kudos to you.

This website used to be different, you know.

I think you were safe...

The above is from the AIM. The only thing I can think of is that your 23 mins past and his 23 mins past might not have been the same 23 mins past, and if you popped up say at 22:34, that might have been his issue. The way I take it, the runway is yours from 23:00 until 25:59....

Well not really, The AIRSPACE is yours, the runway is always uncontrolled.

he'll either say "released" meaning you go now....or "hold for release" and you wait.

from what you said, it sounds like he fcked up and forgot that he released you.

...or, perhaps he said and you missed, "EXPECT release 11:23z-11:26z", or he thought he said the expect word but didn't. Although either is unlikely, as I don't believe I've ever heard that phraseology.

I agree with the last guy; most likely he forgot he released you.

Something we need to know is the length of time from when he gave you the time window to the time window. I believe this verbage from ATC was intended to be "expect release". Very similar to Ground Cont giving you the same thing. It does not mean you are cleared at that time. I would have called back ready to go at beginning of the window and heard the words "you are released, void in 5 min". Or something similar. If the delay was 20 minutes or so, and you just popped up, yeah, I hear his point. If ATC reports this, I don't know exactly what ASAP will provide you with, since this would no longer be sole-source.

they wont say "expect release" just for the purpose of confusion. You are either "released" or "hold for release"

Asapuppy,
It doesn't have to be sole-source for you to benefit from ASAP. Here's my understanding of how it works (at ASA at least):

If it is a sole-source incident, if it is accepted into the ASAP program (meaning nothing intentional or criminal), then the absolute worst case scenario is you get an electronic response closing out the matter (which is essentially the same as it never happened).

If it's a non-sole-source incident that's your fault (the FAA gets wind of it some other way), then without ASAP the worst case scenario is you get a violation in your file, possibly accompanied by a suspension or revocation of your certificate. The best case scenario would be a letter of warning in your file.

With ASAP in a non-sole-source incident that's your fault, the best case scenario is an electronic response (it goes away); worst case scenario is you get a warning letter (which is not a violation, and it drops out of your file after two years). So you can see that if there's ANY chance of the FAA finding something out (which is always the case), then you are always better off with ASAP. You can't lose.

(Somebody please correct me if my understanding is flawed).

Latest resources

Back