• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
"Demonstrating instructional knowledge"

-mini
I guess I would lean toward the PTS wording...
Examiner Responsibility
The examiner conducting the practical test is responsible for determining that the applicant meets acceptable standards of teaching ability, knowledge, and skill in the selected TASKs. The examiner makes this determination by accomplishing an Objective that is appropriate to each selected TASK, and includes an evaluation of the applicant's:
1. ability to apply the fundamentals of instructing;
2. knowledge of, and ability to teach, the subject matter, procedures, and maneuvers covered in the TASKs;
3. ability to perform the procedures and maneuvers included in the standards to the COMMERCIAL PILOT skill level1 while giving effective flight instruction; and
4. ability to analyze and correct common errors related to the procedures and maneuvers covered in the TASKs.
Additionally,
Satisfactory Performance
The practical test is passed if, in the judgment of the examiner, the applicant demonstrates satisfactory performance with regard to:
1. knowledge of the fundamentals of instructing;
2. knowledge of the technical subject areas;
3. knowledge of the flight instructor's responsibilities concerning the pilot certification process;
4. knowledge of the flight instructor's responsibilities concerning logbook entries and pilot certificate endorsements;
5. ability to demonstrate the procedures and maneuvers selected by the examiner to at least the COMMERCIAL PILOT skill level1 while giving effective instruction;
6. competence in teaching the procedures and maneuvers selected by the examiner;
7. competence in describing, recognizing, analyzing, and correcting common errors simulated by the examiner; and
8. knowledge of the development and effective use of a course of training, a syllabus, and a lesson plan.
Note that the items I emphasized in bold require teaching, and are listed separately from the knowlege of teaching items that I italicized.

I guess based on that, I don't have a problem with Tonala2k's terminology.

Fly safe!

David

That's one of those signs of a good instructor, Tonala2k, in my opinion. Willing to admit spots they need to work on! This project has turned into a passion for me. Which makes it harder. I understand now why a researcher should always maintain distance from the task at hand. I'm debating on pasting the link here to the survey when it's ready. Getting a large enough survey sample is going to be yet another tough part.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back