• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unbelievable rental car taxes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is not at all unusual. Like was stated earlier, the politicians feel it is easier to get away with taxing the visiting out-of-towners and the locals don't mind if the out-of-towners are helping to pay for their public services.

Here is a copy of the reservation that I have for Wednesday in IAH:

195.00 USD (Daily 5 Days @ 39.00)

6.50 USD (TEXAS PROPERTY TAX & LIC FEES )

15.00 USD (AIRPORT FACILITY FEE )

22.38 USD (AIRPORT ACCESS FEE )

33.59 USD (SALES TAX )

Total charges 272.47 USD

$77.47 in taxes & fees

Are we living on the same planet?
Let me put it another way.

Given a choice, any politician who has to increase revenues through fees or taxes would much prefer to impose those fees or taxes on visitors from out of town rather than on local citizens who can vote him out of office.

Is it just me or did car rental rates pike way up since two years ago? In the spring of '05 I used to rent cars quit often when I'd commute home from a 2-month training event.. and routinely paid around $30 with taxes. Now it seems routinely double that. More volatile than airfares by far.

Yup. They actually raised their prices, rather than beating concessions out of their employees. Interesting business model... :rolleyes:

Citibank and Amex cover the full coverage insurance if you use their card, but you still need to get liability on your own. If you use your insurance coverage, you risk your annual rates going up or cancellation if something happens. So, you all do not elect the insurance because of what reason?

Last edited:
My best tip: Take a taxi to a car rental location OFF the airport property. You won't get charged taxed for the airport location and other taxes associated with travelers. The cost of the taxi will be less than taxes associated with renting on the airport property. Just do your research before your arrive at your destination so you know where the nearest off-airport car rental location is.

Latest resources

Back