Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crizz

Big Member
I was checking into renting a car in PHX. Their rate was $18/day.. not bad. Total with taxes - $33!!!

I think my math checks out - thats an 83% tax.

Add the $25 for being under 25 years old, and an $18 rental car just turned into a $58 ordeal.

Just wanted to vent - Taxes in this country are getting out of hand.

I agree, just look at Mass, where the Boston Tea Party occurred. Now Mass has some of the highest state taxes in the country.

Actual rental car conversation at an off-airport office near Tampa airport:

"Did you take the airport shuttle over?"

"Uhhh... why?"

"Because if you tell me you did, I have to charge you a whole bunch of fees and additional taxes because it's an airport car rental."

"I'm going to say 'no,' then."

"Terrific. Could I have your driver's license....."

:D

When I lived in a small NM town where the rental car place was at the airport, one was charged a different rate depending on if you walked in thru the front door or came in through the terminal

Can you break down the taxes for us? Did you take the fuel option? Did you return the car with a full tank? Having worked in the car rental world, I know how the fees can add up but are they all taxes?

I can't speak for Crizz, but I'll break down the AVIS rental I just did out of CMH:

6 days @$68.00: $408
$3.46 per rental "Garage Recoup Surch": $3.46
10.19% "Concession Recoup Surch": $41.78
$0.13/day "Vehicle License Fee": $.78
"FTP SR$.50/$2MX" (no idea): $2.00

Taxable Subtotal: $456.02
Tax: 30.78
Total: $486.80

$408 for the car. $3.46 to the airport parking garage, $41.78 to the airport "concessions" fund, $0.78 for the vehicle license, another $2 for "FTP," and then sales tax compounded on those fees!

$78.80 into a $408 rental is effectively over 19% tax for this rental. And yes, all those fees going to a public entity -- the airport authority -- makes them a de facto tax.

I didnt even rent the car. It was all taxes.

Here's another example:

Rental: $16.99
Customer facility charge: $4.50
Airport access fee: $2.44
Vehicle liscense surcharge: $1.22
Stadium surcharge: $.71
Sales tax: $2.47

$17 rental with $12 fees

Outrageous

Politicians hate to tax their own citizens aka voters. Therefore, they tax the heck out of hotel rooms and rental cars rented by......? You guessed it.....out-of-towners aka non-voters.

Your best bet to avoid many fees associated with rental car airport concessionaires is to book online on the individual rental car company website. You can find out which companies are at which airports by using a search engine like www.cheaptickets.com and clicking the rental car tab.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back