• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UNBELIEVABLE! - CAL ALPA supports change to Age 60 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please write or call your mec and lec representatives and ask how this was not given to a vote. Why did they sell everyone out? Was anyone called, or did this survey ever get published results. Complete crap. Please try to find out what changed, and how no one was notified.

This is being handed down by Congress and the FAA...your vote on the matter isn't worth the paper it's written on. What finally sealed the deal was the governments acceptance, through the BK courts, of the termination of the pension plans. As soon as that happened, the government essentially conceded it wouldn't put the pilots in double-jeopardy (so to speak) by mandating they retire at 60. Sixty five was a concession of sorts in reviewing the number of pilots on the respective seniority lists that were facing imminent retirement. The U list in particular.

It's all political..and by that, I don't mean ALPA. It's WAY above that. ALPA is essentially nothing with regards to the imminent age 65 implementation and subsequent increases to 70 and beyond.

This fight is over.

This is being handed down by Congress and the FAA...your vote on the matter isn't worth the paper it's written on. What finally sealed the deal was the governments acceptance, through the BK courts, of the termination of the pension plans. As soon as that happened, the government essentially conceded it wouldn't put the pilots in double-jeopardy (so to speak) by mandating they retire at 60. Sixty five was a concession of sorts in reviewing the number of pilots on the respective seniority lists that were facing imminent retirement. The U list in particular.

It's all political..and by that, I don't mean ALPA. It's WAY above that. ALPA is essentially nothing with regards to the imminent age 65 implementation and subsequent increases to 70 and beyond.

This fight is over.

With your mentality we would never even be a country. You don't give up on something because you think the odds are stacked against you especially when your paying members want it otherwise. All it is is the greed if the old guys with the legislative influence, not what the profession wants or needs.

All it is is the greed if the old guys with the legislative influence, not what the profession wants or needs.

Are you kidding?!?

Most of these guys pensions have been decimated. Not only that, they have taken huge pay cuts in their prime earning years. They are just hoping to recoup some of their losses. Give these guys a break. Yes it sucks that the age 65 rule is happening on our watch and slowing our seniority down for 5 years. However when I am 60 years old I will be glad that I have 5 more years of my greatest pay to go.

Are you kidding?!?

Most of these guys pensions have been decimated. Not only that, they have taken huge pay cuts in their prime earning years. They are just hoping to recoup some of their losses. Give these guys a break. Yes it sucks that the age 65 rule is happening on our watch and slowing our seniority down for 5 years. However when I am 60 years old I will be glad that I have 5 more years of my greatest pay to go.

Sorry to be harsh about it, but alot of these guys have been making $150,000 for years and years and years. If the pension was your only way to survive you are poor financial planner hands down. Yes it sucks to loose most of it, but you should never count on something that is not in your hands for the future.

Now what about all the delayed upgrades and many people on the street who wont be coming back anytime soon. Yes the younger crowd has 5 years on the other end, but if you compound the interest for what they will loose they will probably work 2 years for free. Also most don't want to work that long.

And yes the older guys are the one with the influence. Did you c the vote results, membership does NOT want it. That is all that should matter. My vote should count as much as someone 59 1/2 yrs old, but it obviously doesn't.

Sorry to be harsh about it, but alot of these guys have been making $150,000 for years and years and years. If the pension was your only way to survive you are poor financial planner hands down. Yes it sucks to loose most of it, but you should never count on something that is not in your hands for the future.

I keep seeing this over and over again from you guys. I don't know how long you have been in this business but I have been here for twenty years (sixteen with a major) and have never - I repeat never - seen this kind of money. What I have seen is - 5 year "B" scale, termination of my DB retirement plan, stock options to compensate for massive pay cuts (of course those options vaporized almost immediately), three furloughs, termination of bridge medical insurance upon retirement and starting with a new carrier at 53.

Now I don’t want to work to 65, heck I don’t want to go to work tonight. But when I turn 60 I will have two kids in college (we tried to do the responsible thing and waited till my career was stable prior to having kids). Trust me at 62 I will be out the door on graduation day. Did we save? Sure we did, but when you face the reality of paying the full ride for insurance, exploding tax rates, energy costs out of site do you really think that personal savings is going to provide for a comfortable lifestyle? Maybe if you are a golden boy with a golden career but for a great number of us it will be a tough row to hoe.

So coming full circle, you are in la la land if you think even the vast majority of us have had the type of career you are describing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back