• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ummmm....anyone have a new starter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's really hard to take a post that ridiculously stated, seriously. However, to answer your comments once more:

He said push-start, not hand-prop. Try reading the posts a little more carefully.

The piston airplane equivilent of a push start on a car, and the action most akin mechanically to push starting a clutch equipped manual or standard transmission car, is hand propping the engine. Further, I believe Tonyc referred to going downhill fast...the very same thing we do in an air start. As the original poster asked specifically about hazard potentials as a result of his condition in flight, TonyC's comment is particularly relevant. If one experiences such a starter failure in flight and needs to use the starter motive power to rotate the engine, a steep dive with propeller windmilling action will accomplish the same, and the engine may be started without the aid of the accessorized starter motor.

Try doing a little more research, next time.

Virtually all large piston engines utilize a clutch...The original posters airplane does not.

Really? What do you suppose constitutes a bendix drive, but a clutch? Most certainly the original poster's aircraft utilizes a clutch.

Try doing a little more research, next time.

He said push-start, not air-start. Try reading the posts a little more carefully.

While TonyC's post was placed here tongue in cheek, I can't help but note that yours smacks of utter foolishness.

You see, we fly aircraft. That's AIRcraft. A windmilling start is a push start, owing to dynamic airflow pushing on the blade face, intertia in the blade maintaining an autorotative state (contrary to resistance), and a forward vector of thrust owing to induced lift perpendicular to the relative wind striking the blade face...all of which serves to spin up the blade against the internal resistance of the engine, induced drag on the prop blade, and the standing inertia resisting an increase in angular momentum of the propeller blades themselves.

Air start.

Which, I might add, may be accomplished on the ground by placing an aircraft with a running engine in front of the aircraft with the dead starter, and using propwash to assist in the starting process. Believe it or not. And then there's numerous other kind of aircraft, such as the gyroplane previously mentioned, which is push started in every way.

You really should do a little more research before you post.

But why stop there? As propping a piston aircraft engine is the same as push starting an automobile, and we are certainly pushing on the descending blade when we hand prop, we can be clearly noted to be push starting the aircraft by hand propping.

You probably know this already, unaswered, but you really should do a little more research before you post.

avbug said:
If one experiences such a starter failure in flight and needs to use the starter motive power to rotate the engine, a steep dive with propeller windmilling action will accomplish the same, and the engine may be started without the aid of the accessorized starter motor.

But he said push-start, not "enter a steep dive and try to get the prop windmilling". Try doing a little more research, next time.

avbug said:
Really? What do you suppose constitutes a bendix drive, but a clutch? Most certainly the original poster's aircraft utilizes a clutch.

Ah, I read ya now. In that case, my pencil-sharpener has a clutch.

avbug said:
While TonyC's post was placed here tongue in cheek, I can't help but note that yours smacks of utter foolishness.

Well, that was the whole point. God you are sharp!!!

hey gkrangers, what did you do with the piece of the starter? maintenance was down here asking if anyone had turned it in. did you keep it? if so, bring 'er on down so they can have it.

UnAnswerd said:
But he said push-start

I'd wager that "Unanswered" is capable of suck starting it!

The only time that I've seen a broken housing is when the bendix wasn't maintained properly, lack of lubrication, and failed to dis-engage. It also rendered the starter ring gear un servicable.

cforst513 said:
hey gkrangers, what did you do with the piece of the starter? maintenance was down here asking if anyone had turned it in. did you keep it? if so, bring 'er on down so they can have it.
He's down at the local hardware store looking for some J-B weld.

:)

cforst513 said:
I was told I could have it, but I'll bring it down later.

Latest resources

Back