• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UFlyMike Headset Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been using the QC2/Mike combo for a couple years and I haven't had much in the way of trouble with it. I think that the version of the setup that I have is a little different than what's being sent out now. The one problem that I had was the mic was too sensitive. I was instructing at the time so the aircraft had all kinds of setups, including some with no squelch. I solved the problem by using 2 mic muffs on top of each other. My setup remains the same to this day. I think that the Mic on mine is more sensitive than the new ones that I've seen. Between my friends and current co-workers I can think of about 10 newer setups that I've taken a look at.

In any case. I've been very pleased with the set up. Obviously I would like the headset to continue working when the batteries fail but that's not possible because of the way the QC2 is designed. I just make sure to have batteries with me at all times. I've used mine for so many hours that I had to have my QC2 earmuffs replaced. They were a mess.

j

I just got this set up to use in the Lear 45. It is awsome, wish I had done this years ago. No problems what so ever.

Not only do I applaud the UFly/Bose combo, after selling my BoseX on Ebay for $800, but I really think that MikeB should be congratulated for his (and his family's) excellent customer service!
They really follow up (as you can see from his helpful posts here), and the one time I needed something done to mine, it was back in time for my next trip out!

Great American Entrepeneur-man-ship!

Oh well, tried a big word...

Our new Airbuses arrive with Sennheiser ANR headsets, jeopardizes flight safety, don't think so. Hope you don't believe this crap, the Sennheiser isn't dependent on some crap ass AAA battery. Your skewed survey has no scientific value whatsoever I'm afraid.

Be nice. There's obviously a lot of pilots who don't agree with you.

Fact is, the percentages reported came directly from the survey responses. There was no skewing or manipulation of data going on.

The important thing to take away from it is the relative ratings of the headsets.

Squint your eyes until you can't read the fine print, then look at the columns.

Headsets without batteries have a lower failure rate? Where's the data? Why is a battery different than monitoring fuel, or oxygen, or?

Mike

Our new Airbuses arrive with Sennheiser ANR headsets, jeopardizes flight safety, don't think so. Hope you don't believe this crap, the Sennheiser isn't dependent on some crap ass AAA battery. Your skewed survey has no scientific value whatsoever I'm afraid.

Be nice. There's obviously a lot of pilots who don't agree with you.

Fact is, the percentages reported came directly from the survey responses. There was no skewing or manipulation of data going on.

The important thing to take away from it is the relative ratings of the headsets.

Squint your eyes until you can't read the fine print, then look at the columns.

Headsets without batteries have a lower failure rate? Where's the data? Why is a battery different than monitoring fuel, or oxygen, or?

Mike

Hey Mike,
What about an aviation headset like a cell phone headset. Light, one ear piece , mike on the same wire. Would it work? The noise levels in most jets are pretty low. I would buy one.

Thanks for the input.

RTRHD,

Sure it would work. The only one I know of is made by Lightspeed. Check out their website and look for one that looks like a cellphone headset. It's not TSO'd, however (if you work for an air carrier that puts stock in that).

You might not want to assume that jet noise is low. Most folks find out that long term hearing loss is significant. Do your ears ring at the end of a long day, e.g., in your hotel room?

A good test is to wear an ANR headset for a day, then take it off a fly the last leg with your standard headset. You'll probably be surprised at how noisy it sounds. Also, lower frequencies are also fatiguing, even if not perceived as loud. Jet engines emit a lot of harmonics through the airframe that contribute to other low freq noise (configuration noise - gear, flaps, speedbrakes).

Mike

Hey Mike,
What about an aviation headset like a cell phone headset. Light, one ear piece , mike on the same wire. Would it work? The noise levels in most jets are pretty low. I would buy one.

Thanks for the input.

You brought up a good point earlier. We realized there wasn't enough explanation, so we've added some below the chart. The first thing to realize is that there is a threshold below which responses are insignificant. What level? I don't know, but draw you're own conclusions. To me, Anything below 10-15% doesn't count.

If you notice, you are represented in the UFlyMike column by the 10% who rated "poor design" as a problem with our product. 90% of those that felt poor design was a factor, attributed it to other headsets.

There's only two other things you should get from that chart:

1. There is a headset where the ANR might work TOO well (ala the FAA concern).

2. There's a couple of headsets that are clearly the "weak sisters" in the professional flying community.

Sorry for the confusion, and we appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Last edited:

These planes come with a speaker or two installed. That is the back up to the the 3 back up headsets we carry in the closet. My Lord, way to much doomsdayers out there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back