UFlyMike, Bose Headphone Adapter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
www.uflymike.com

There's an aviation adapter for the Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones. It's a $200 adapter to a $300 pair of headphones.

Anyone tried these, particularly in the CRJ? I just recently bought the Bose X, but would have jumped on these if I knew about it beforehand. Now I'm considering selling the Bose X on ebay and picking these up. It's a great concept!

Well, since they aren't TSO'd and since the company website specifically says NOT to rely on it soley for pilot communication, I think I'd think twice about trading in my BOSE X for this set-up.

On a side note, I use the Bose X in the CRJ-700. Best money I ever spent...but headset preference is VERY subjective. Get what works for you.

How does the bose do in the CRJ? I've heard it only really is effective at canceling out the low end noise like props and that the high end noise like wind noise isn't reduced much.

I was thinking about getting one myself but before dropping a G on a headset I wasnted to do some research...

~wheelsup

CRJ puppy said:
Well, since they aren't TSO'd and since the company website specifically says NOT to rely on it soley for pilot communication, I think I'd think twice about trading in my BOSE X for this set-up.

On a side note, I use the Bose X in the CRJ-700. Best money I ever spent...
According to the aircraft manuals at our company, only Dave clarks and Telex 750's are approved for use in the CRJ by bombardier. So, by that rationale, you shouldn't rely on your Bose X either...

The Bose X are sweet in the jet. No noice at all. We have the freebies in the airplane, little headphones that just fit ontop of the ear.

With the Bose, I hardly hear any air noise, and the intercome actually is understandable. I have no idea what the engines are doing if I don't look at the glass. Can't even hear any whine with an increase of power. This sucked when I was just starting in the Avro. all good now . . . . .

Flew with a guy that used this setup and he said they worked great. Just always carry a extra set of batteries with you and you'll be fine.

By the way only two head sets are TSO'ed for the CRJ and the it's not: Bose, David Clarks, or Lightspeeds. My opinion on it, if the company isn't going to supply the headset I'm not going to go out and buy a new one.

I say go for it!!!! Save some coin. If you don't like it you could alway ebay.

I have probably replyed to headset post 20 times on Flightinfo. Every time I have said the same thing.

If you care about your hearing and want the best, buy the Bose.

If you want some magical headset, good luck! The only one that exists says BOSE on the side.

What about the clarity alofts?

Way2Broke said:
What about the clarity alofts?

I don't think I'd like those.... not enough active noise cancelling. The CRJ cockpit is loud with all the cooling fans and wind noise!

I think I'll get the uflymike tomorrow and try it my next trip... we'll see.

I bought the Ufly Mike set up and have used it now for a couple of 4 day trips. Sweet! Great that I can use it on dead head legs in the back too. I was going to get the Telex 850s or the Sennheisers but after borrowing some from an FO I found that I didn't like a headset that sits on top of the ear. The Bose QuietComfort cup the ear but still fold up pretty small. I can also plug my Ipod directly into the them (not that I'd ever do that in the air of course!;) ) There's still the whole TSO issue though. I haven't been able to find any reference that requires the use of a TSO certified headset so I guess I'll find out next time I have a Fed in the jumpseat. The headset that my company supplies for the jumpseat is a $20 Radio Shack deal - hardly TSOd, and I've never had a Fed comment on that, although that's not primary pilot communication.

Latest resources

Back