UFlyMike Bose Adaptor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From their web site I think.

Does the adapter require TSO certification?

The FAA's TSO program with regard to headsets and microphones is for the purpose of establishing a standard, or benchmark for such equipment, but they have not mandated nor regulated the use of such equipment for Part 91, 135 or 121, or under Part 25 or Part 43 or any other FAR. The establishment of a process for certifying equipment does not require certification for use, but is only a demonstration of adherence to the established standard. We make a quality product but are unable to obtain TSO certifications because we do not manufacture the Bose headphones.

Fozzy said:
Does the adapter require TSO certification?

The FAA's TSO program with regard to headsets and microphones is for the purpose of establishing a standard, or benchmark for such equipment, but they have not mandated nor regulated the use of such equipment for Part 91, 135 or 121, or under Part 25 or Part 43 or any other FAR. The establishment of a process for certifying equipment does not require certification for use, but is only a demonstration of adherence to the established standard. We make a quality product but are unable to obtain TSO certifications because we do not manufacture the Bose headphones.
I heard... (take it for what it's worth)... that because headsets are "required equipment" for most 121 ops that you have to have the minimum number of TSO'd headsets onboard but you could use whatever you want. No I don't have a reference... but I know that 2 headsets are in the MEL for the ATR I fly as "always required", and the company doesn't provide any so you have to bring your own.

I flew my UFM headset for the first time yesterday. Quality unit, excellent sound, but be warned the mike is on the left, and there's no way I can see to have it on the right. So if you're an FO, be warned. I'm going to figure out a way to route my cable over the top of the headset band in some fashion.

It also has an input for pluggin in something like an ipod correct? (while you are using it as a headset - flying obviously)

got my answer....apparently theres no edit function do edit-remove my question :confused:

The UFlyMike setup is great. Yes, if the battery goes out, you lose all audio (though the mic will still transmit in any case), but when you use non-rechargable batteries, you get something like 5 hours of warning (blinking light on the headset) before they die. (Bose recommends not using rechargable batteries because the low-battery warning doesn't work right with them, and I've verified what they're talking about... heard that it may have to do with the different drop-off of voltage over time as the battery becomes depleted.)

I carry my ear-mold headset/mic combo with me in case the Bose fails catastrophically, but in well over a year I haven't had to pull it out.

The left-side mic is a small annoyance, but only that. Some guys put the cord behind their head, others clip it to the front of their right epaulet with the same clip that the earmold arrangement used (and I think Mike sells those clips on his website too).

As for the TSO deal, I've heard more stories of FAA guys asking where they can get one for their own flying than I have of them expressing doubts about it, and I've heard of exactly NOBODY getting in actual trouble from wearing them.

Excellent setup.

OK, I am sold!
As best as I can tell, the price on eBay is the same as direct and should give the "Mom & Pop" business the max profit.

Any 737 f/o's care to give a users report? Do you find that you have the left (mike side) earmuff off so you can hear the Capt? I currently have the Bose X - but REALLY like the idea of having the headset for riding in the back.

Baja.

I heard a rumor that Bose was considering legal action against Uflymike? Any truth to this? Count me in as one considering getting this as I already own the headset.

Bose Dropped Lawsuit Against UFlyMike

Bose dropped their lawsuit in May of this year. Allegations were unsupported. We were a bit surprised because we expected them to litigate us to death... don't have to be right, just have more $$$.

Mike
UFlyMike LLC

Latest resources

Back