• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ex737Driver

Contract 2020????
Possible or just wishfull thinking?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/united-continental-eyes-new-jets-analysts-2011-01-14?siteid=yhoof

United Continental Eyes New Jets: Analysts

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — While Delta Air Lines may be just the first major U.S. airline to spring for a new fleet of single-aisle jets, United Continental Holdings might not be far behind.

Key motivators for both airlines and, indeed, the entire industry are the stubborn rise in jet fuel prices and easier access to financing.

The recently-merged carrier has a fleet of grounded Boeing 737 jets that are on average 20 years old and lack the kind of fuel efficiency needed to weather oil prices if they were to again top $100 a barrel. It also flies aging Airbus A320 and A319 jets.

Michel Merluzeau, managing partner at consultancy G2 Solutions, foresees a United Continental order of about 100 aircraft.

“They are shopping around because they think they can get a very good deal,” Merluzeau said, in an interview. “Boeing has been very aggressively pricing the 737 and there are significant opportunities at this time.”

United Continental declined to comment.

Over the summer, lessors stole the limelight at the Farnborough International Airshow, ordering a whopping $8.52 billion worth of commercial aircraft. That gave the sector a needed confidence boost and likely helped relax financing after a couple of very tight years.

How old are the A319 and A320s at UA? I thought they're almost as cost effective as CAL's 73 NG fleet.

Big question is would this be a replacement order or adding to our total numbers.

What we really need are those 78's.... Now.

Navin

I have said it numerous times, 5-6 years from now, the regional industry will look totaly different. Mainline carriers will be flying the majority of the "regional" jets with their own pilots, most of the 50's will be parked, some 70's still flown by the regionals, and probably a lot more turboprops for a true regional feed. Those making the decision to stay at the regionals as a career might want to think very very hard about doing so, once the retirements pick back up the opportunities will be out there for moving on for all those who desire to.

I have about 1000 other reasons to strike, but thats a the top of the list. Hell at this point I'll strike just to strike.

Latest resources

Back