• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UCAL Looking At New Aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have said it numerous times, 5-6 years from now, the regional industry will look totaly different. Mainline carriers will be flying the majority of the "regional" jets with their own pilots, most of the 50's will be parked, some 70's still flown by the regionals, and probably a lot more turboprops for a true regional feed. Those making the decision to stay at the regionals as a career might want to think very very hard about doing so, once the retirements pick back up the opportunities will be out there for moving on for all those who desire to.

You are assuming those career regional pilots actually have a choice about where they spend their careers- some are there not by choice. Just sayin

You are assuming those career regional pilots actually have a choice about where they spend their careers- some are there not by choice. Just sayin

I was only referring to those who choose to stay at the regionals. There will be jobs out there for those who want to move on. I understand that if you are 55 and top of the list at a regional, there isn't much choice. However, those folks had a choice at one time, and they decided not to take the risk. I see no logic supporting anything but shrinking of regional airlines over the next 10 years. That of course assumes that CAL/UAL don't let a substandard contract through.

I wish you all the luck in the world for the ability to strike. I do believe there are enough pilots who are or soon will be fed up enough to walk the picket lines, but I have very strong doubts that the government would allow such a big airline to be released. It was great to see Spirit stand up for themselves, but honestly they were small enough that the government could take the pressure to allow it. I doubt even a nonmerged CA or UA would be allowed to strike. Unfortunately I don't see how the pilot unions will ever have enough leverage to force anything remotely near what they deserve ever again. The only way I can see reasonable raising of the bar is if there is ever truly another pilot shortage that forces management to raise the bar just to fill the seats. Short of that I don't see more than token raises that probably won't even cover the inflation over the life of the current contracts. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back