UAL's Ceo Compensation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B1900DFO

Did anybody else read the filing on UAL's newest CEO's compensation? A signing bonus of $3million (for someone with no experience running an airline?). An anual salary of $950,000 in addition to 100,000 shares of Ual and options for another 100,000. Oh and lets not forget a fully funded $4.5 million dollar pension and the opportunity to get bonuses equal to 3 times base salary upon hitting goals. I am there are also some provisions in the contract for free golf, suv's, etc.

I could be wrong but I believe this is the most lucrative package Ual has given, to the most inexperienced CEO they have had, during what they describe as the most critical time in United's history. I can't believe that they cry foul about pilot salaries.

Would you gladly part with that if he could return the airline to profitability??? I mean total numbers too, all on the streets back on the property. Sometimes you need someone outside the fold to make it happen. I ain't saying that he is the one but in times like this and given the decisions that UAL mgt has made in the past, what's the worst that can happen???

WD.

Let's see the doors could close. I think that is about the worse that could happen. Another greedy CEO milking the company for everything. They wonder why they are going bankrupt. UMMMMM that's not hard to see.

I read the minutes from the meeting the other day and he seems to have the big picture in mind. All I am saying, as someone who is in the UAL structure or atleast a big part of it, I would gladly part with that if he can turn this thing around...

WD.

BTW I am all for that Glock of yours on the flight deck.

I agree with BE1900DFO (who started this thread). He's right on the money.

I worked there at the World HQ a while back... got to see the daily "screwings-up" at that company. The historical EVIDENCE proves that their present situation is management's fault. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know their UAL history.

How can anyone say, "Hey, he's worth that money if he can turn it around?" First, NO executive is worth that kind of money. Second, every $10 million of executive compensation counts, when you're betting on ruining the financial lives of tens of thousands of people.

But, I'm not a pilot for UAL. Let's hear from any UAL pilots reading this forum. They're the ones getting the big shaft. Comments, any UAL pilots?

Not worth it

As a former employee of UAL it pisses me off that the BOD is willing to throw money around like it was falling off the trees there at World HQ. Signing bonuses are for prima donna athletes who are being bought under a salary cap. Why give $3,000,000 to someone just so he signs his name on a contract without doing one day of honest work. He is not a proven leader in the aviation industry and has little to no experience digging a company out of the bottomless pit most of the majors are mired in. The unproven athletes don't get a bonus + they make the league minimum. His salary (not his bonuses) should be tied to goals. Let's give him $250,000 per year and top his salary out at $500K if he meets his goals for the company. As for stock options-give him the options if UAL goes into Ch 11. Otherwise give him the cash. Or better yet, make all his pay in stock, including the signing bonus. Talk about some motivation to keep UAL out of bankruptcy. Give him a membership to the nearest Y and lease him a KIA Rio. He can upgrade the health club and car, but with his own nickel.

Again, the BOD has made a financial decision that doesn't set well with the needs of the company or its employees. Of course it pisses me off more that Mr. Tilton thinks that this is what he needs to live off of and takes the company to the bank. Aaaahhh to be a CEO.

Slug

You guys have no clue ! Anyone worth their weight in salt is going to cost some $$$. Lets here what Carty and Bethune make these days ? You are all living in lala land if you think someone will jump into this mess without some serious compensation, pay what you are suggesting and that is what you will get ! It is crunch time, UAL needs someone with some balls to turn it around, I for one have a little optimism that Tilton, with no airline experience, just may get the big picture. Everyone says that the entire business model must change ! In progress.

Look at other industries and see what top executives make in companies that generate 10 billion a year in revenue and they would laugh at what Tilton's package is. Times are tough but this is not the 1950s. Hey, maybe pay all pilots what an entry level commuter pilots makes, maybe that will make a profit ? Right.

Then again, I could be wrong, Tilton just may walk away with the money bundle and screw everyone. I don't think so.

Heard we just may see the Shuttle come back soon, I say all narrow guage planes be used and we start taking back some of our market share, the new business plan. I'll have a Coke and a bag of rabbit snax please !

Give this guy a chance, you may just be surprised !

Think it through, guys

Let's say that you're a senior captain at an airline that's sitting comfortably looking at the remaining years until retirement. Out of the blue, somebody asks you to quit that job and go to work as a captain for an airline where every airplane you have to fly has a list of maint. items as long as your arm, the F/As are surly, and you fly to un-fun places. AND, most of all, you weren't sure that you were going to get a future paycheck because of past failures. You couldn't take your retirement from your old job with you either. What would make you go from that known quantity to that of a very unknown one?

What would you require before you moved?

I think the pundits are being unrealistic and once again proving the old notion that "Eveybody makes too much money... except me".

UAL78

Latest resources

Back